[comp.lang.misc] Another one

nick@lfcs.ed.ac.uk (Nick Rothwell) (01/04/90)

In article <JV.90Jan2131257@mhres.mh.nl>, jv@mh (Johan Vromans) writes:

>Add:
>
>Modula-2	Separate module definition and implementation. Heavily
>                block-structured. Very strong typing. Combines the
>                benefits of Pascal with the very few good features of C.

While we're here, ...

ML		Functional language with assignable objects (!), static
		polymorphic typechecking, type-safe exception mechanism,
		pattern matching, abstract type mechanism, parameterised
		types, sophisticated
		module system with parameterised modules and specification
		of sharing constraints, separate module definition and
		implementation, efficient optimising compilers,
		full formal semantics.
		(and just to show that I'm not *that* biased:)
		woefully inadequate concept of operator overloading and
		equality, pretty non-existent development environment.

>Johan

		Nick.
--
Nick Rothwell,	Laboratory for Foundations of Computer Science, Edinburgh.
		nick@lfcs.ed.ac.uk    <Atlantic Ocean>!mcvax!ukc!lfcs!nick