[comp.lang.misc] Algol 68 info

tom@usblues.UUCP (Tom Markson) (01/05/90)

The recent "Late Bloomers..." thread talked a bit about Algol-68 and it's
decendents.  Does anyone know how one can obtain either the original or
any revised papers about Algol-68?

Thanks in advance.

--
Tom Markson
			...!uunet!usblues!tom

chl@cs.man.ac.uk (Charles Lindsey) (01/09/90)

tom@usblues.UUCP (Tom Markson) writes:
>The recent "Late Bloomers..." thread talked a bit about Algol-68 and it's
>decendents.  Does anyone know how one can obtain either the original or
>any revised papers about Algol-68?

Unfortunately, most books written on ALGOL 68 are probably now out of print
(the few remaining copies of my own book which I recently advertised on the
net were soon snapped up). The one exception is probaly the "Guide to ALGOL 68
for users of RS Systems" by Woodward & Bond published in the UK by Edward
Arnold (ISBN 0 7131 3490 9). Another good place to look is "A Tutorial on
ALGOL 68 by A.S.Tanenbaum" in ACM Computing Surveys Vol 8 #2 June 1976 p155
(also Sept 1977 for errata).

If you want to dig into the legalities (not recommended for first comers), the
defining Report was in Acta Informatica Vol 5 #1,2,3 Dec 1975 and in Sigplan
Notices May 1977 (general permission to copyleft included). The CWI in
Amsterdam may have a few copies left for sale, and I still have a few
(poorish) microfiche copies left that went out with the ALGOL Bulletin once.

rdh@myrias.com (Dale Hagglund) (01/11/90)

tom@usblues.UUCP (Tom Markson) writes:
>decendents.  Does anyone know how one can obtain either the original or
>any revised papers about Algol-68?

I recommend

	"A Practical Guide to Algol68"

by Frank G. Pagan, published by John Wiley and Sons.  From the point
of view of actually using the language, it is much more useful than
the formal definition of the language, the Algol 68 Revised Report,
which is largely impenetrable unless you know W-grammars (cf.
double-level grammars).  For an introduction to W-grammars, see

	"Grammars for Programming Languages"

by J. Craig Cleaveland and Robert C. Uzgalis, published by Elsevier.
It is, I believe, currently out of print.
--
Dale Hagglund					rdh@myrias.com
Myrias Research, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada	{uunet,alberta}!myrias!rdh

mph@oberon.inmos.co.uk (Mike Harrison) (01/11/90)

In article <564@m1.cs.man.ac.uk> chl@cs.man.ac.uk (Charles Lindsey) writes:
 ... stuff deleted
>If you want to dig into the legalities (not recommended for first comers), the
>defining Report was in Acta Informatica Vol 5 #1,2,3 Dec 1975 and in Sigplan
>Notices May 1977 (general permission to copyleft included).

My copy of the revised report was published (in 1976) as a book by Springer-
Verlag, apparently with two different ISBNs :

    ISBN 3-540-07592-5 Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg New York
    ISBN 0-387-07592-5 Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg New York

You might find a copy of this somewhere.

Michael P. Harrison - Software Group - Inmos Ltd. UK.
UK : mph@inmos.co.uk             with STANDARD_DISCLAIMERS;
US : mph@inmos.com               use  STANDARD_DISCLAIMERS;

gsarff@meph.UUCP (Gary Sarff) (01/18/90)

In article <632038137.25855@myrias.com>, rdh@myrias.com (Dale Hagglund) writes:
>tom@usblues.UUCP (Tom Markson) writes:
>>decendents.  Does anyone know how one can obtain either the original or
>>any revised papers about Algol-68?
>
>I recommend
>
>	"A Practical Guide to Algol68"
>
>by Frank G. Pagan, published by John Wiley and Sons.  From the point
>of view of actually using the language, it is much more useful than
>the formal definition of the language, the Algol 68 Revised Report,
>which is largely impenetrable unless you know W-grammars (cf.
>double-level grammars).  For an introduction to W-grammars, see
>
>	"Grammars for Programming Languages"
>
>by J. Craig Cleaveland and Robert C. Uzgalis, published by Elsevier.
>It is, I believe, currently out of print.
>--
>Dale Hagglund					rdh@myrias.com
>Myrias Research, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada	{uunet,alberta}!myrias!rdh

I recommend this book too.  Dr. Pagan was my professor for Formal Grammars
and also for Compiler Construction during grad school and was chairman of my
thesis committee.  For the Formal Grammars class we used "Formal
Specification of Programming Languages: A Panoramic Primer", also
(suprisingly?  8-) by Dr. Frank G. Pagan.  The mini-languages in this book
are "Algol like" languages, and his "pseudo-code" for both classes on the
black-board was in fact, you guessed it, Algol-68.  The university where I
was, Southern Illinois University in Carbondale, didn't teach Algol-68, but
we picked it up pretty quickly, we had to. 8-)  Interesting books, and Dr.
Pagan is one of the Algol-68 evangelists, at least when I knew him.