[comp.lang.misc] Hope

kdmoen@watcgl.UUCP (09/09/87)

I'm looking for references to papers describing the functional
programming language Hope.  All I've come up with so far is:
	"A Hope Tutorial", Aug 1985 Byte
which doesn't even have references.

I'm particularly interested in papers that are easy to find in
North America (Hope comes from Great Britain).

Also, I have a question:
In Hope, the expression (1,2,3) is a 'tuple' with type num#num#num.
Are , and # binary operators?
--
Doug Moen
University of Waterloo Computer Graphics Lab

psanders@btnix.axion.bt.co.uk (Paul Sanders) (10/06/87)

In article <1720@watcgl.waterloo.edu>, kdmoen@watcgl.waterloo.edu (Doug Moen) writes:
> I'm looking for references to papers describing the functional
> programming language Hope.  All I've come up with so far is:
> 	"A Hope Tutorial", Aug 1985 Byte
> which doesn't even have references.
>
> I'm particularly interested in papers that are easy to find in
> North America (Hope comes from Great Britain).

A really good reference is:
	"An Introduction to Hope", by Roger Bailey at Imperial College,
					LONDON SW7
					UK
I don't know how similar this is to your reference and I'm sorry that it's
British but it should be useful.
> Also, I have a question:
> In Hope, the expression (1,2,3) is a 'tuple' with type num#num#num.
> Are , and # binary operators?

In my opinion, and I'm fairly new to this so I'm no authority, the ',' and '#'
are simply syntactic sugar and act as a notational device. This is certainly
the case with '#' since this is used only in declarations.
---
--
E-mail (UUCP)	PSanders@axion.bt.co.uk (...!ukc!btnix!psanders)
Organisation	British Telecom Research Laboratories (RT3122)

news@doc.ic.ac.uk (News) (10/24/87)

Our news system has been down for a while so this is a follow up to
P Sanders' article

From: iwm@ivax.doc.ic.ac.uk (Ian Moor)

The book:
 'Principles of Functional Programming'
  Hugh Glaser, Chris Hankin and David Till
  Prentice Hall 1984
contains a section on Hope and is a good introduction to Functional
programming.

  'Functional Programming: Languages,tools and techniques'
   editor Susan Eisenbach
   John Wiley 1987 (Ellis Horwood in the UK)

contains the articles from the August 1985 and several others,(including
one by yours truly)

   Coming next year --
    'Functional Programming'
     Peter Harrison and Tony Field
     Addison Wesley

a comprehensive book on all aspects of the subject.

Note: I know allof the above the authors and most of them are colleagues,
so the recommendations are not disinterested.

>> Also, I have a question:
>> In Hope, the expression (1,2,3) is a 'tuple' with type num#num#num.
>> Are , and # binary operators?

I think they can be treated as operators e.g # builds a cross product
num # char  from two types num and char; BUT the operators dont associate:
 (1,2),3 is a pair with a pair as its first element, 1,2,3 is a triple; Hope
doesn't let you define non associative operators, so they are 'special'.
There is a strong body of opinion for treating ',' at least as punctuation
though.

Ian W Moor
  UUCP: seismo!mcvax!ukc!icdoc!iwm
  ARPA: iwm%icdoc@ucl

 Department of Computing   Whereat a great and far-off voice was heard, saying,
 Imperial College.         Poop-poop-poopy, and it was even so; and the days
 180 Queensgate            of Poopy Panda were long in the land.
 London SW7 Ukce-6FJ-hIJ!

ken@mm.uucp (Ken Seefried iii) (02/08/90)

--

I am interested in learning more about the language Hope, presumedly
done at Imperial College in London.  So far, I have two references:

	"A Hope Tutorial", Rodger Bailey, Byte, 1985.

and

	"Comparative Programming Languages", L.B. Wilson,
	 R.G. Clark, Addison-Wesley, 1988.

The former article mentions a compiler that runs on PCs.  I would
be interested in something somewhat less primative, if availible.

Many thanks for your time...

--
       Ken Seefried iii             ...!<anywhere>!uunet!gatech!mm!ken
         MetaMedia, Inc.              ken%mm.uucp@gatech.edu