[comp.lang.misc] fancy printing software text Re: tgrind, etc

xanthian@saturn.ADS.COM (Metafont Consultant Account) (02/21/90)

In article <1990Feb20.235034.21698@Neon.Stanford.EDU> rokicki@Neon.Stanford.EDU (Tomas G. Rokicki) writes:
[...]
>Make two copies of the same program, one printed with tgrind/WEB/
>whatever, and one just printed out with a monospaced font.  Now try
>and read each.  Which do you really find easier to read?
>
>The rapid font changes (bold keywords, italic identifiers, etc.)
>in the output of such programs as tgrind manage to slow my
>comprehension of the code, by just making it a lot more difficult
>to read.
[...]

Amen.  The same thing makes me hate the forced uppercasing of keywords
in Modula-2.  It may be easier for Wirth to read, but it makes me go
blind.  From my point of view, keywords are punctuation, and should be
as subdued as possible, so I can get right to identifiers, the "value
added" part of the code.  With proper coding style, most keywords are
at the start of a line anyway (including C's "{", "}" pair, sorry
K&R), and the few that aren't are forecast by others that are (for
.... to .. by ... do) so why EMPHASIZE them to the detriment of
readability?
--
xanthian@ads.com xanthian@well.sf.ca.us (Kent Paul Dolan)
Again, my opinions, not the account furnishers'.

paj@mrcu (Paul Johnson) (02/28/90)

In article <1990Feb20.235034.21698@Neon.Stanford.EDU> rokicki@Neon.Stanford.EDU
(Tomas G. Rokicki) writes:
[...]
>Make two copies of the same program, one printed with tgrind/WEB/
>whatever, and one just printed out with a monospaced font.  Now try
>and read each.  Which do you really find easier to read?
>
>The rapid font changes (bold keywords, italic identifiers, etc.)
>in the output of such programs as tgrind manage to slow my
>comprehension of the code, by just making it a lot more difficult
>to read.

Interesting.  I guess this is the best group around to discuss this
matter, so....

Does this mean that grinders should emphasise VARIABLE and TYPE names?
I would imagine that the emphasise-keyword tradition dates back to
ALGOL, and (qwerty strikes again) was introduced then because it
seemed like a good idea.

Have any objective tests been done on code comprehension with
different emphasis styles (I doubt it, its a bit obscure and difficult
to measure, but you never know).  On the other hand, could it be more
a matter of what you are used to?  I have been involved in minor flame
wars at work over indentation style: everyone seems to find everyone
elses style incomprehensible.  We are all used to no emphasis (as on
terminal screens) so seeing parts of text emphasised might be
off-putting no matter how it is done.

Paul.

--
Paul Johnson                               UUCP: <world>!mcvax!ukc!gec-mrc!paj