[net.movies] Fast Times At Ridgemont High

cs2534ai@unm-cvax.UUCP (02/18/85)

[Make up your MIND, dude....]

I've read the book three times...I've seen the movie at least 30 times...
Now I want to know: are there any other Fast Times freaks out there, and
do you have any interesting info about this story?

	For instance, at least as far as the book is concerned, names of
people and places have been changed, but everything really happened.  That
means that there are people alive today who experienced all those things and
now are immortalized (anonymously) in a book and a movie.  Who IS Jeff Spicoli?
Brad and Stacy Hamilton?  Mike Damone, Mark Rattner, etc etc?  What are they
doing today?  Have any of them "blown their cover"?  What was the real name
of the school?  What city was it in?  Can anyone find a newspaper clipping
about Brad's catching the holdup man in the 7-11?

	If anyone else has an interest in this book/film, please contact me!

						Thanks in advance,
						David B. Thomas

			      :::::::::
___________HOME___________  :::::   :::::  _____________WORK_______________
David B. Thomas		    ::___   ___::  Rocky Mountain Computers (Apple)
1406 Calle Del Ranchero NE  ::\_*|-|_*/::  2109 Wyoming Blvd. NE
Albuquerque, NM  87106	    ::   \_/   ::  Albuquerque, NM  87112
(505) 266-1016		     :  (___)  :   (505) 292-2775 that's 292-APPL
			      :_______:
UUCP:   {{purdue,cmcl2,ihnp4}!lanl,ucbvax}!unmvax!unm-cvax!cs2534ai
Listen, gentlemen, I perform a SERVICE here, and the service costs money.

suki@reed.UUCP (Monica Nosek) (02/23/85)

Well, from what I gathered when the book first came out, the
school was Redondo Union High School in Redondo Beach,
California.  Redondo is a beach community in LA County and
adjoins Torrance, where I grew up and went to school.  Assuming
that this information is correct, I can surmise that the mall
involved is Del Amo Mall in Torrance, and that Jeff Spicoli is
perhaps every stoned surfer ever to grace Southern
California's beaches.  There is a Swenson's ice cream parlor
in Del Amo, as in the Town Center in the book, so that rings
true as far as Stacy's job is concerned.  Their football team
is the Redondo Seahawks, but I really don't know if the
Ridgemont Raider saga happened like it did in the book.
	I thought the book was far superior to the movie, if a
bit roughly put together.  I was really disappointed that the
makers of the movie should cash in on the "valley girl" craze
by setting the story in such a trendy val way.  I thought the
beach community aspect was an important one, especially where
Spicoli was concerned.  Ah well, I suppose Hollywood will be
Hollywood.
	"Read it.  Know it.  Live it."
		Monica

ellen@reed.UUCP (Ellen Eades) (02/23/85)

I was told by my then-boyfriend and his best friend
*and* a few other people that Ridgemont High is actually
Clairmont High in La Jolla, California, on the outskirts
of San Diego.  I don't know any of the other pertinent
facts about the area, being from Pasadena myself, but
this might be collaboratable by contacting Clairmont itself.
On the other hand, the reason I broke up with this
turkey was that he lied to me often and very glibly.  Take
this as hearsay, and don't quote me.

allyn@sdcsvax.UUCP (Allyn Fratkin) (02/26/85)

In article <971@reed.UUCP>, suki@reed.UUCP (Monica Nosek) writes:
>         ... Del Amo Mall in Torrance, and that Jeff Spicoli is
> perhaps every stoned surfer ever to grace Southern
> California's beaches.  There is a Swenson's ice cream parlor
> in Del Amo, as in the Town Center in the book, so that rings
> true as far as Stacy's job is concerned.

Sorry, the mall in the movie is the Sherman Oaks Galleria (yes, the very
same galleria as in the Frank & Moon Zappa song "Valley Girl.")

Also, (assuming Stacy is the main female character -- its been a while since
I've seen it), Stacy worked at Perry's Pizza, not at a Swensen's.
--
 From the virtual mind of Allyn Fratkin            allyn@UCSD.ARPA           or
                          UCSD EMU/Pascal Project  {ucbvax, decvax, ihnp4}

 "Generally you don't see that kind of behavior in a major appliance."

ph28kc@sdcc12.UUCP (ph28kc) (02/27/85)

>   What was the real name of the school?  What city was it in?

	Around these parts its pretty well accepted that the school
portrayed is indeed Clairemont High, San Diego, CA - but then we
might be a bit biased.

					Ken Cluff
					San Diego, CA

esco@ssc-vax.UUCP (Michael Esco) (02/27/85)

> I was told by my then-boyfriend and his best friend
> *and* a few other people that Ridgemont High is actually
> Clairmont High in La Jolla, California, on the outskirts
> of San Diego.

Yes, the school was Clairmont. A San Diego newspaper, the Union I believe,
did a followup story on it some time back. There was talk at the time of
lawsuits by people who didn't care for their characterizations.

BTW- Clairmont, La Jolla, and several other communities in the San Diego area
are not cities, but just over-grown neighborhoods within the city of San Diego.
People near La Jolla like to claim they're in La Jolla, and people in La Jolla
tend to think of themselves as a separate country.
							Michael Esco
							Boeing Aerospace