[net.movies] obscure movies

jla@usl.UUCP (Joseph L Arceneaux) (02/19/85)

'HIGH HEELS' (not the original title, which is French)

With Jean-Paul Belmondo, and if I am not mistaken, Mia Farrow.  A very good
movie in which Belmondo, as a doctor, profits through his affairs with less-
than-beautiful women, until the one he marries discovers his affair with her
ravishing sister (none other than Laura Antonelli).  Truly a hilarious movie,
with many fine touches.  Amazingly, I saw this at a friend's who had picked it
up out of interst through his video club.  3.5 * (out of 4)

'LE CHOIX DES ARMES'

With Gerard Depardieu, Yves Montand, and Catherine Deneuve.  Depardieu is an
escaped criminal who gets entangles with ex-big time gangster Montand and wife
Deneuve.  A very good film with Depardieu at his best.  3.5 * (out of 4)

'IN THE REALM OF THE SENSES'  (maybe not so obscure...?)

By a Japanese director, whose name I forgot, but who recently did 'Merry
Christmas Mr. Lawrence.'  The (true) story of a young prostitute who falls
in love with a young man and together search for the perfect orgasm.  Not,
in my opinion, pornographic, though some consider it such.  I don't know
much of the original incident, except that it occurred in the 30's and that
the Japanese public fell in love with the woman...

--

				    Joseph Arceneaux

                                    USL Computer Science Department
				    {akgua, ut-sally}!usl!jla

	"I'm sorry, but my kharma just ran over your dogma."

reiher@ucla-cs.UUCP (02/24/85)

In article <319@usl.UUCP> jla@usl.UUCP (Joseph L Arceneaux) writes:
>'IN THE REALM OF THE SENSES'  (maybe not so obscure...?)
>By a Japanese director, whose name I forgot....

Nagisa Oshima.

>The (true) story of a young prostitute who falls
>in love with a young man and together search for the perfect orgasm.  Not,
>in my opinion, pornographic, though some consider it such.  I don't know
>much of the original incident, except that it occurred in the 30's and that
>the Japanese public fell in love with the woman...

Pornography is in the eye of the beholder, but it's worth mentioning that
the film is much more sexually explicit than anything produced by Hollywood
(unless you consider the hard core porn industry to be Hollywood).  It should
also be mentioned that there is an extremely disquieting and fairly explicit
act of violence in the film which has been known to offend people (I've got
my understatement cap on for that one).  The true story is apparently very
well known in Japan.  A different version was just made by Noboru Tanaka
(called "The True Story of Abe Sada") which makes Oshima's version look
tame, by all reports.  "In the Realm of the Senses" is a very fine film, but
decidedly not for the easily offended.
--

        			Peter Reiher
        			reiher@ucla-cs.arpa

marty@boulder.UUCP (Marty Kent) (02/28/85)

   Speaking of obscure films, what about the work of Robert Downey?  He
made a fairly well-known film about a Madison Ave. advertising agency
called "Putney Swope"; the film started as a rather far-fetched comedy
and became increasingly surreal as it progressed.  He also had a film
called "Greaser's Palace" in which Alan Arbus played a kind of Jesus-like
character who appears in the old west, dancing through the chapparal with
Fred Astaire moves, dressed in a zoot suit ...
   I've heard that Downey also made a movie during the late Sixties which
was advertised as having been made specifically to be seen by stoned
people: it was supposed to have a bunch of people playing *dogs* and was
called, aptly enough, "Pound."  Has anybody seen this film, or even heard
of it?  Or was I being thoroughly bullshat?
   By the way, I understand Downey was himself an advertising man for a
while: supposedly he made a television commercial, never aired, for
Preparation H.  The commercial featured a pretty Japanese girl holding up
a tube and saying "Use Preparation H and you can kiss your hemmorhoids
goodbye!"

			Marty Kent

uucp:
{ucbvax!hplabs | allegra!nbires | decvax!kpno | harpo!seismo | ihnp4!kpno}
				!hao!boulder!marty
arpa: 	MKent @ SUMEX-AIM