[comp.lang.misc] Reference to language PROTEL?

collberg@dna.lth.se (Christian S. Collberg) (10/03/90)

Can anyone tell me where I can find a reference to a language named
PROTEL? Parnas mentions it in a recent paper but does not supply a
reference (Argh!).

Thanks.
Chris Collberg
collberg@dna.lth.se

schow@bcarh185.bnr.ca (Stanley T.H. Chow) (10/04/90)

In article <1990Oct3.121520.2388@lth.se> collberg@DNA.LTH.Se (Christian S. Collberg) writes:
>Can anyone tell me where I can find a reference to a language named
>PROTEL? Parnas mentions it in a recent paper but does not supply a
>reference (Argh!).

PROTEL (PRocedure Oriented Type Enforcing Language) is a propiatary language
developed by Bell Northern Research. It was developed in the 70's for
development of the DMS-100 family of telephone switches. Currently, the
program for the DMS-100 is around 15 millions of code and the widely held
opinion is that PROTEL was/is crucial to this achivement.

PROTEL is (very losely) a PASCAL derivative. We are now at version 5 of the
language and still making changes as we learn how to handle large S/W
project. We like to think we have a better language than Ada and Modular-n
before either was defined.

Some papers were published a decade ago. I don't recall where, but I can
find the references if you want. (But I can tell you the published papers
are mostly obsolete.)

If there is interest, I can post a summary of the features and what makes
the language distinct (dare I say better?)

P.S. Bell Northern Reseach is the R&D sudsidary of Northern Telecom. We
     are competitors to AT&T Bell Labs.

Stanley Chow        BitNet:  schow@BNR.CA
BNR		    UUCP:    ..!uunet!bnrgate!bcarh185!schow
(613) 763-2831               ..!psuvax1!BNR.CA.bitnet!schow
Me? Represent other people? Don't make them laugh so hard.