[comp.lang.misc] What is HOL?

news@heitis1.uucp (News Administrator) (10/09/90)

We recently received information regarding HOL.  It tells us what machine
to get it from, but not much about it.  Actually, much may have been told
to someone else, but finally someone said "Look at this wierd address, and
what is FTP???  Let's ask Brian" ;-).  What I am interested in, is a
"short" synopsis of what it does, and possibly a little about how it is
programmed.  Basically, I am fishing for information.  Any help I could get
would be greatly appreciated.

	brian

jack@cs.glasgow.ac.uk (Jack Campin) (10/11/90)

news@heitis1.uucp (News Administrator) wrote:
> We recently received information regarding HOL.  It tells us what machine
> to get it from, but not much about it. [...]  What I am interested in, is
> a "short" synopsis of what it does, and possibly a little about how it is
> programmed.

It stands for Higher-Order Logic, and is a theorem prover for digital
hardware verification using a fragment of Church's type theory.  It was
developed by Mike Gordon at Cambridge University.  It uses some of the
same lower-level stuff as Larry Paulson's ISABELLE.  It's written in ML.
That's all I know about it.  Try an enquiry to comp.specification for more
details.

--
--  Jack Campin   Computing Science Department, Glasgow University, 17 Lilybank
Gardens, Glasgow G12 8QQ, Scotland   041 339 8855 x6044 work  041 556 1878 home