[comp.lang.misc] Array references...

oz@yunexus.yorku.ca (Ozan Yigit) (11/27/90)

In article <8839:Nov2100:33:3990@kramden.acf.nyu.edu> brnstnd@kramden.acf.nyu.edu
(Dan Bernstein) writes:

>We are all aware that it is impossible for a fixed algorithm *within*
>machine M to solve the halting problem for machine M (provided that M is
>not utterly trivial). But the solution takes advantage of a new machine
>*outside* M.

Dan, Unfortunately, I cannot efford *two* systems, so I may have to
resort to simulating the machine N(n) that was supposed to be outside
machine M. Alternatively, I can simulate machine M inside N, so N can
really watch from outside in.

Or maybe, to be fair, I think I ought to simulate both M and N together.

Is this reasonable?

This simulation is rather important to me. Machine M will attempt to
solve 3n + 1 puzzle for succesively larger integer values. I am counting
on machine N to tell me when I find an integer for which the puzzle
never terminates.

I think this is exciting. Don't you?

oz
---
Where the stream runneth smoothest,   | Internet: oz@nexus.yorku.ca
the water is deepest.  - John Lyly    | UUCP: utzoo/utai!yunexus!oz