[comp.lang.misc] INTERCAL string handling

steve@bat.lle.rochester.edu (Steve Swales) (01/11/91)

In article <IISAKKIL.90Dec31071548@xaloc.tky.hut.fi>, iisakkil@xaloc.tky.hut.fi
(Mika R Iisakkila) writes:
> howell@grover.llnl.gov (Louis Howell) writes:
> > Yes, but WHY is this the expected behavior?  Statement (52) has just
> > been reinstated, so it should be executed, no?  All other NEXT statements
> > should still be abstained from, but not (52).
>
> 	Well, now I think that I understood the point - I'm so
> embarrased. I promise to post some real source some day...

I believe you can be forgiven... after all, the author, as well as I,
the semi-official fully part-time lunatic-in-charge of maintenance,
failed to see this as well.

> 	BTW, was there any consensus about the proposed string
> handling extensions to intercal? I didn't have time to follow the
> news when this was discussed and the articles have already expired here.

No, and the discussion did not really go on very far. I am hoping that
there will be more interest in this topic, now that I have released
Version 0.6. How about it folks?

I'll try to post a summary of the discussion so far as soon as I get a
chance.

Also, I expect I will be posting an 'official patch' to correct this
latest problem (the ABSTAIN/REINSTATE problem) in the near future,
assuming a satisfactory solution can be found.

Oh, and speaking of patches... if any of you find there is a compiler
error due to 'linebuf', there is a spurious declaration in 'ick.h' that
can be removed. The line is:
	extern char linebuf[];

This did not cause a problem on the (BSD-ish) platform I use, but was
pointed out to me by someone with a System Vr3 platform (thanks again
Kevin!), where the compiler is a bit more picky about sloppy stuff
like this (no offense, Eric, this was MY error!)

-steve

--
 Steve Swales                (716) 275-0265,-3857,-5101| he cried. "The game is