[comp.lang.misc] programming language names

kinnersley@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (Bill Kinnersley) (01/10/91)

In article <3561@bruce.cs.monash.OZ.AU>, lloyd@bruce.cs.monash.OZ.AU
  (lloyd allison) writes:
:
: I have been attempting to compile an A-Z (not a census)
: of programming languages for some time.
:
Well if it's names of obscure but widely used languages you want, take a
look at the mumbo jumbo that Ada replaced.  According to "An Overview
of Ada" by J.G.P. Barnes, evaluations of existing languages included:

FORTRAN, COBOL, PL/I, HAL/S, TACPOL, CMS-2, CS-4, SPL/1, J3B, J73,
Algol 60, Algol 68, CORAL 66, Pascal, SIMULA 67, LIS, LTR, RTL/2, Euclid,
PDL2, PEARL, MORAL and EL-1.

--
--Bill Kinnersley

rssutor@broccoli.princeton.edu (Robert S. Sutor) (01/10/91)

Here are some more languages (from computer algebra).
Each has had hundreds if not thousands of users.

Scratchpad            a general-purpose language originally written
		      for computer algebra at IBM Research in the
		      1980s.  It features abstract parametrized datatypes,
		      multiple inheritance and polymorphism.  Implementations
		      exist under VM/CMS and AIX. Authors include
		      Richard Jenks, Barry Trager, Stephen M. Watt and
		      Robert S. Sutor.

Maple                 the interpreted language for the Maple computer
		      algebra system developed at the University of
		      Waterloo (Canada) in the 1980s. Authors include
		      Gaston Gonnet, Keith Geddes, Stephen M. Watt and
		      Michael Monogan.

Mathematica           the interpreted language for the Mathematica
		      computer algebra system developed by Wolfram
		      Research in the late 1980s.

Macsyma               the language for the Macsyma computer algebra
		      system developed at MIT, Symbolics and others
		      in the 1970s and 1980s.
--
                                Robert S. Sutor
Department of Mathematics                       Mathematical Sciences Department

--

tomr@ashtate (Tom Rombouts) (01/11/91)

In article <3561@bruce.cs.monash.OZ.AU> lloyd@bruce.cs.monash.OZ.AU (lloyd allison) writes:
>re the variety of languages.
>
>I have been attempting to compile an A-Z (not a census)
>of programming languages for some time.

I, too, have started a list of languages!  (Now we can have our own
flame wars like those regarding the various "jargon" files  :-)  )

Many of the most obscure ones I got from the 1969 edtion of Sammet's
"Programming Languages: History and Fundamentals" which includes a
list in the back of c. 130, with many more mentioned in bibliographical