[comp.lang.misc] Information Request on rbase

fyu05@seq1.keele.ac.uk (D.J. Crawford) (01/25/91)

I'm not sure if this the best newsgroup to ask. But basically
I am interning at a psychiatric hospital this summer (Mclean
Hospital Belmont M.A.) and part of my duties require me to
program in a language called   rbase  !!!!!!

So far nobody knows what the hell rbase is, and I therefore need
the wisdom of people on the usenet.

If anyone can help me, I would appreciate some sample instructions,
and the title of a book.

Please E-mail replies.    Thankyou.

	 fyu05@seq1.keele.ac.uk

	 Derek Crawford
	 University of Keele
	 Keele
	 Staffordshire, ST5 5AE,
	 ENGLAND

stt@inmet.inmet.com (01/27/91)

Re: What is "rbase"?

I suspect that "rbase" is the database programming language
associated with the "RBASE" product, which I think is
a clone of "DBASE II/III", and presumably supports the same
language.  There are many books available on DBASE II/III/IV,
so you should be able to learn something useful from them.
-S. Tucker Taft
Intermetrics, Inc.
Cambridge, MA  02138

hodas@saul.cis.upenn.edu (Josh Hodas) (02/04/91)

In article <21900004@inmet> stt@inmet.inmet.com writes:

>Re: What is "rbase"?
>
>I suspect that "rbase" is the database programming language
>associated with the "RBASE" product, which I think is
>a clone of "DBASE II/III", and presumably supports the same
>language.  There are many books available on DBASE II/III/IV,
>so you should be able to learn something useful from them.
>-S. Tucker Taft

I did not see the note that this one respoded to, but just wanted
to clear up any confusion Mr. Taft's note may have created.

RBASE, the MS-DOS (and some other platforms I believe) database
package from MicroRim is NOT a clone of DBase, the package from Ashton-Tate.
It is a very different package, with a different sort of database
structure and a totally different Programming language.

I will not get into questions of which is better (though since I
was for a period a certified developer for MicroRim, I obviously have
some opinions on that), but just wanted to point out that they
were not the same thing.

Josh

Josh Hodas    		Home Phone:	     (215) 222-7112
4223 Pine Street	School Office Phone: (215) 898-9514
Philadelphia, PA 19104	New E-Mail Address:  hodas@saul.cis.upenn.edu