[net.movies] locations of movies -- The Graduate

ewok@ucbvax.ARPA (Lisa Rodgin) (02/12/85)

	And then there is "The Graduate" which supposedly takes place
partially in Berkeley..However, all the "UCBerkeley" campus scenes
were really filmed at the University of Southern California. and
in the scene where Dustin Hoffman is driving his little red convertible
over the bridge to Berkeley to see his girlfriend...he is really driving
west over the Bay Bridge, towards SF and away from Berkeley...

terryl@tekcrl.UUCP () (02/13/85)

>	And then there is "The Graduate" which supposedly takes place
>partially in Berkeley..However, all the "UCBerkeley" campus scenes
>were really filmed at the University of Southern California. and
>in the scene where Dustin Hoffman is driving his little red convertible
>over the bridge to Berkeley to see his girlfriend...he is really driving
>west over the Bay Bridge, towards SF and away from Berkeley...

     Ah, not quite. True, MOST of the UC Berkeley scenes were shot at USC,
but there's at least one or two scenes that were shot at Berkeley. The only
one I can remember for sure is the shot of her(Katherine Ross) coming out of
the Administration building (the one with the wide steps). BTW, the boarding
house he stayed in is actually in Berkeley, one block from campus. It's a
frat house now(at least it was four years ago when I left), and there's a
couple of shots inside the house that definitely show one of the dorm buildings
that is across the street from the house.

     You can tell where they shot the scene by looking at the colors of the
buildings: if they're red brick, then it was shot at USC, `cause there aren't
any red brick buildings at Berkeley; if they're greyish-white, then it was
shot at Berkeley.

jackh@zehntel.UUCP (jack hagerty) (02/20/85)

>      You can tell where they shot the scene by looking at the colors of the
> buildings: if they're red brick, then it was shot at USC, `cause there aren't
> any red brick buildings at Berkeley; if they're greyish-white, then it was
> shot at Berkeley.

I guess you've never heard of South Hall, the oldest building in the UC
system (built in 1873). It was one of the two oringinal buildings of the
"California College", the other being North Hall (natch). North Hall is
long gone, but South Hall is still around serving as the home for the school
of Librarianship. While I can't think of any other major buildings that are
all red brick, there are quite a few smaller buildings which are sided in cedar
shake (brown), and the student union is about equal parts glass, red brick and
tan concrete.
--
                    Jack Hagerty, Zehntel Automation Systems
                          ...!ihnp4!zehntel!jackh

grady@ucbvax.ARPA (Steven Grady) (03/09/85)

>The second one starred Tuesday Weld and (I think) Michael Moriarity and
>one of the sets was a bookstore on Telegraph Ave. There was a big deal
>about getting in cameo shots. I can't remember the name of the book
>store but it was run by this hippie type character. Was/is it called
>Moe's?
>
>Bruce Rodean
>{ihnp4|hplabs}!hpfcla!rodean

Probably.  There is a very good used book store here called Moe's on
Telegraph.  (It was rated the best book store in Northern California
in some obscure book on California somewhere, somewhen.)

		Steven Grady

jsc@ucbvax.ARPA (James Carrington) (03/09/85)

> I know that two films were shot in and around Berkeley while I was
> there from 1973-78. I can't remember the titles of either which probably
> indicates the quality and success of the films.
> The second one starred Tuesday Weld and (I think) Michael Moriarity and
> one of the sets was a bookstore on Telegraph Ave. There was a big deal
> about getting in cameo shots. I can't remember the name of the book
> store but it was run by this hippie type character. Was/is it called
> Moe's?
Moe's is one of the larger bookstores on Telegraph Ave. It's the sort of place
you'd expect to be run by a hippie...
--
					James Steven Carrington
					The INGRES Project

reiher@ucla-cs.UUCP (03/10/85)

In article <52300006@hpfclo.UUCP> rodean@hpfclo.UUCP (rodean) writes:
>I know that two films were shot in and around Berkeley while I was
>there from 1973-78. I can't remember the titles of either which probably
>indicates the quality and success of the films.
>
>The first starred Dean Martin as some cop and the University Art Museum
>was used as a set.
>
>The second one starred Tuesday Weld and (I think) Michael Moriarity and
>one of the sets was a bookstore on Telegraph Ave.

The first might have been "Mr. Ricco", which I didn't see.  The second is
"Who Will Stop the Rain?"  The latter is an excellent film.  It also stars
Nick Nolte, and was based on Robert Stone's novel, "Dog Soldiers".  It wasn't
a big hit, but the critics loved it.  So did I, and, for that matter, my
mother, who is more critical of films than I.  I'd advise catching "Who Will
Stop the Rain?" whenever you can.

--

        			Peter Reiher
        			reiher@ucla-cs.arpa