[comp.lang.misc] Oberon

pepers@cpsc.ucalgary.ca (Bradley Pepers) (10/05/89)

Where can I find a detailed specification of Oberon, Object-Oberon, and the
Oberon Operating System (if there is one - I understand there is?)?

  Brad Pepers

marshall@software.org (Eric Marshall) (10/07/89)

	The July 1988 issue of Software-Practice and Experience
contains two articles by Wirth on Oberon:

	From Modula to Oberon
	The Programming Language Oberon

Eric Marshall
Software Productivity Consortium
SPC Building
2214 Rock Hill Road
Herndon, VA 22070
(703) 742-7153

CSNET: marshall@software.org
ARPANET: marshall%software.org@relay.cs.net

mikel@goofy.Apple.COM (Mikel Evins) (10/11/89)

I believe that the next issue of "Structured Programming" magazine
(spring issue, I think) will contain an article on Object Oberon.

rudolf@satchmo (Jim Rudolf) (10/12/89)

In article <399@sunny.software.org> marshall@software.org (Eric Marshall) writes:

>	The July 1988 issue of Software-Practice and Experience
>contains two articles by Wirth on Oberon:

Today I also noticed an article on Oberon in the September 1989
issue of Software: Practice and Experience.

Jim Rudolf
rudolf@oce.orst.edu (Address in header may not work)
Oregon State University

db@tc.fluke.COM (Dan Banay) (03/28/90)

Does anyone know where I can obtain information about the language Oberon?
Specifically, I'm looking for a reference manual and a description
of the language (EBNF or whatever).

Thanks in advance,
Dan

preston@titan.rice.edu (Preston Briggs) (03/28/90)

In article <1990Mar27.162059.15501@tc.fluke.COM> db@tc.fluke.COM (Dan Banay) writes:

>Does anyone know where I can obtain information about the language Oberon?

Check

	From Modula to Oberon
	Wirth
	Software -- Practice and Experience
	July 1988

and

	The Programming Language Oberon
	Wirth
	Software -- Practice and Experience
	July 1988

One's the intro, the other a language spec.
Further, an explanation of the primary new idea is in

	Type Extensions
	Wirth
	Transactions on Programming Languages and Systems (TOPLAS)
	April 1988

The language has been revised since the SP&E papers,
but I'm not sure if the revision has been published.

Finally, I'm a fan and will be glad to correspond.
--
Preston Briggs				looking for the great leap forward
preston@titan.rice.edu

reagan@hiyall.enet.dec.com (John R. Reagan) (03/28/90)

In article <1990Mar27.162059.15501@tc.fluke.COM>, db@tc.fluke.COM (Dan Banay) writes...

>Does anyone know where I can obtain information about the language Oberon?
>Specifically, I'm looking for a reference manual and a description
>of the language (EBNF or whatever).
>
>Thanks in advance,
>Dan
---

I recommend:

1) N. Wirth.  From Modula-2 to Oberon.  Software, Practice and Experience
   18, 7, (July 1988), 661-670.

2) --. The Programming Language Oberon.  Software, Practice and Experience
   18, 7, (July 1988), 671-690.

3) J. Gutknecht, N. Wirth.  The Oberon System.  Software, Practice and
   Experience 19, (1989)

4) N. Wirth. Modula-2 and Object-Oriented Programming.  Paper presented
   at the First International Conference on Modula-2, Bled, Yugoslavia,
   Oct. 11-13, 1989.

John Reagan
Digital Equipment Corporation
reagan@hiyall.dec.com
---

db@tc.fluke.COM (Dan Banay) (03/30/90)

Many thanks to all who provided me with information about Oberon.

Dan

dan@Apple.COM (Dan Allen) (06/01/90)

I understand that Niklaus Wirth has designed a language since Modula-2
called Oberon.  Is that true?  If so, where can someone read about it?
How does it compare to Modula-2?  Email please.  Thanks!

Dan Allen
Apple Computer

py198723@academ01.mty.itesm.mx (Jesus Eugenio Sanchez) (02/15/91)

	Hi. I'm a CS student, and I've heard that N. Wirth developed a new
object-oriented languaje. A friend of mine even claims that he's got the
compiler (I expect he'll give it to me this Monday). How much of this is
true? Where can I get documentation of this languaje?
	I'd really appreciate any help/comments on this.

			Thanks in advance
			Eugenio Sanchez
			py198723@academ01.mty.itesm.mx
			jsanchez@roxette.mty.itesm.mx
			py198723@mtecv2.mty.itesm.mx

fischer@iesd.auc.dk (Lars P. Fischer) (02/19/91)

Eugenio> 	Hi. I'm a CS student, and I've heard that N. Wirth
Eugenio> developed a new object-oriented languaje.

Check out the following papers:

@Article{wirth:modula:oberon,
  author = 	"Nicklaus Wirth",
  title = 	"From Modula to Oberon",
  journal = 	"Softw.\ Pract.\ Exp.",
  year = 	"1988",
  volume = 	"18",
  number = 	"7",
  pages = 	"661--670",
  month = 	"July",
}

@Article{wirth:oberon,
  author = 	"Nicklaus Wirth",
  title = 	"The Programming Language Oberon",
  journal = 	"Softw.\ Pract.\ Exp.",
  year = 	"1988",
  volume = 	"18",
  number = 	"7",
  pages = 	"671--690",
  month = 	"July",
}

@Article{delft:oberon,
  author = 	"van Delft, A. J. E.",
  title = 	"Comments on Oberon",
  journal = 	"{ACM} {SIGPLAN} Notices",
  year = 	"1989",
  volume = 	"24",
  number = 	"3",
  pages = 	"23--30",
  month = 	"March",
}

Eugenio> A friend of mine even claims that he's got the compiler (I
Eugenio> expect he'll give it to me this Monday). How much of this is
Eugenio> true?

It would be difficult for the net to give an answer to this :-)

/Lars
--
Lars Fischer,  fischer@iesd.auc.dk   | Beauty is a French phonetic corruption
CS Dept., Univ. of Aalborg, DENMARK. |                   - FZ

fischer@iesd.auc.dk (Lars P. Fischer) (02/19/91)

Eugenio> 	Hi. I'm a CS student, and I've heard that N. Wirth
Eugenio> developed a new object-oriented languaje.

Lars> Check out the following papers:

followed by a list of papers to read.

You might also like to check out the free Oberon Compiler for the Mac
announced today. Check out comp.lang.modula3.

/Lars
--

brandis@inf.ethz.ch (Marc Brandis) (02/19/91)

>Eugenio> 	Hi. I'm a CS student, and I've heard that N. Wirth
>Eugenio> developed a new object-oriented languaje.

Everybody wanting to learn more about Oberon (both language and system) may
check out the following ETH server.

	129.132.101.33  neptune.inf.ethz.ch neptune

In the subdirectory Oberon, you find our port of Oberon to the Mac, to the
Sun SPARC and to the DECstation. There is also a directory containing some
articles as Postscript Files. Everything can be retrieved using anonymous
ftp.

Marc-Michael Brandis
Computer Systems Laboratory, ETH-Zentrum (Swiss Federal Institute of Technology)
CH-8092 Zurich, Switzerland
email: brandis@inf.ethz.ch