[net.movies] TESTAMENT

leeper@ahutb.UUCP (leeper) (03/05/85)

This is a response to a piece of mail.  I am posting it to the net
partially because my software is complaining about the return address,
but also because the content may be of general interest.

 >Just got your review of 9 Feb.  Re:
 >
 >	"TESTAMENT wasa very well-made film, beautifully
 >	directed with great insights into the
 >	characters.  But while those characters
 >	were believable, the situation was not.  The
 >	producers failed to do their homework."
 >
 >How was the situation not believable?

My knowledge of what a post-nuclear war environment is based
predominantly on the following:

-- BBC documentary "The War Game" dir. by Peter Watkins
-- Discussions with friends
-- Reading parts of THE FATE OF THE EARTH (I don't remember the author,
but it's because of the current interest in nuclear holocausts it is in
most book stores.)

The fact is that TESTAMENT examined only the radiation effect of the
war and for a community within commute distance of San Francisco they
way under-rated even that.  At the time TESTAMENT was made the concept
of nuclear winter had already been established, yet the film did not
show the dropping of temperatures.  On the contrary, some survivors were
headed up to Canada where the cold alone would have been deadly.

The breakdown of the social order was shown with one kid stealing a
bicycle.  With the the big (and many not-so-big) cities gone, there
would be no distribution of food.  Nothing grown would be safe.  The
breakdown of social order would start with food hoarding.  (Non- and
slightly-contaminated food, after all, and guns, would be the most
valuable commodities for survival.)  Half-starving gangs would be
scouring the countryside to find anything to eat.  They would roll over
the town in TESTAMENT, like it were nothing at all.  (I suppose you
could accuse me of rattling off Survivalist dogma here.  I dislike the
Survivalist movement myself, but their view of the post-holocaust world
is probably closer to the truth than most people realize.)

Then there would be disease.  Within a large radius around targets
there would be millions dying with nobody to bury them.  Disease would
run rampant with no real facilities to stop it.  The town in TESTAMENT
is hardly isolated enough that the disease would not come there.  The
people on the fringes of the destruction and even the air currents
would carry it.

Then there are the injured and maimed.  The dubious assumption of the
film was that this town was far enough from any of the blasts to avoid
direct physical injuries.  It wouldn't have avoided the walking
wounded, it just wasn't that isolated.

In any case there is a long list of reasons why things just would not
have been as shown in TESTAMENT.  A post-nuclear-war is very probably
worse than we can imagine, and the town in TESTAMENT was not.

				Mark Leeper
				...ihnp4!ahutb!leeper

kenw@lcuxc.UUCP (K Wolman) (03/06/85)

At some "realistic" level, "Testament" may indeed have
underestimated the prolonged horrors of a nuclear war aftermath
in ways "Threads" did not.  But the death of the mother's
(Jane Alexander's) little boy (remember the scene at the sink?)
and her almost maniacal search for his teddy-bear told me more
than I ever wanted to know about a particular part of that
horror.

The deaths that follow seem to have a lessening impact until,
by the end of the film, the viewer is damned near numb.  This
could be a flaw, or a far-too-successful realization of what
used to be considred a "fallacy," i.e., Imitative Form.
--
Ken Wolman
Bell Communications Research @ Livingston, NJ

	You can't "read" me because I'm not a book.

leeper@ahutb.UUCP (m.r.leeper) (03/08/85)

REFERENCES:  <524@ahutb.UUCP>, <320@lcuxc.UUCP>

 >At some "realistic" level, "Testament" may indeed have
 >underestimated the prolonged horrors of a nuclear war
 >aftermath in ways "Threads" did not.  But the death of the
 >mother's (Jane Alexander's) little boy (remember the scene
 >at the sink?)

Do I!

 >and her almost maniacal search for his
 >teddy-bear told me more than I ever wanted to know about a
 >particular part of that horror.

Somehow there is more sadness in the death of one person than in the
death of millions.  When you hear that 30,000 people are killed in a
firestorm you do not feel 30,000 times as sad as when you hear one
person is killed, particularly if that person is someone you have
gotten to know.  It may be less painful for the world to go with a bang
than a whimper.  The scenes you mention are the most memorable of the
film, though others stand high.  I guess that is why I have such mixed
feelings about TESTAMENT.  It was a great film but technically very
(perhaps dangerously) inaccurate.  It left me sadder than THREADS did.
There are forms of warfare for which what is happening in the film is
more in character with the facts.  TESTAMENT is somewhat closer to a
possible scenario for bacterialogical warfare then nuclear warfare.
Yes, there are still problems there, but less of the film might have to
be changed to make it accurate to that situation.

 >The deaths that follow seem to have a lessening impact
 >until, by the end of the film, the viewer is damned near
 >numb.

THREADS and THE WAR GAME stun and numb the viewer much faster to
individual deaths, but overall they are more frightening.  Less
depressing but more frightening.

				Mark Leeper
				...ihnp4!ahutb!leeper

mathnews2@watdcsu.UUCP (mathNOOS [editors]) (03/08/85)

In article <524@ahutb.UUCP> leeper@ahutb.UUCP (leeper) writes:
> >Just got your review of 9 Feb.  Re:
> >
> >	"TESTAMENT wasa very well-made film, beautifully
> >	directed with great insights into the
> >	characters.  But while those characters
> >	were believable, the situation was not.  The
> >	producers failed to do their homework."
> >
> >How was the situation not believable?
>
>The fact is that TESTAMENT examined only the radiation effect of the
>war and for a community within commute distance of San Francisco they
>way under-rated even that.  At the time TESTAMENT was made the concept
>of nuclear winter had already been established, yet the film did not
>show the dropping of temperatures.  On the contrary, some survivors were
>headed up to Canada where the cold alone would have been deadly.

  Canada isn't that cold, and would be only three or four degrees
colder than San Francisco (Celsius).  Canada also would, in the more
remote areas, be less ravaged by radiation, and could serve, through
use of hothouses (yes, you can have hothouses in freezing
temperatures; my father has done that for years), as a storehouse for
the remnants of civilisation.

>The breakdown of the social order was shown with one kid stealing a
>bicycle.  With the the big (and many not-so-big) cities gone, there
>would be no distribution of food.  Nothing grown would be safe.

  If you'll note, the survivors accepted the fact that the end was
inevitable, and just chose to live out their days as best as they
could.  While I cannot recall anyone eating fresh food (remember the
storeroom with all the cans and jars), it wouldn't really matter to
them whether the food was contaminated or not, they were going to die,
anyhow.

>Then there would be disease.  Within a large radius around targets
>there would be millions dying with nobody to bury them.  Disease would
>run rampant with no real facilities to stop it.  The town in TESTAMENT
>is hardly isolated enough that the disease would not come there.  The
>people on the fringes of the destruction and even the air currents
>would carry it.
>
>Then there are the injured and maimed.  The dubious assumption of the
>film was that this town was far enough from any of the blasts to avoid
>direct physical injuries.  It wouldn't have avoided the walking
>wounded, it just wasn't that isolated.

  The producers assumed, as there were no prospective medical
facilities available, that the walking wounded would not be coming
that way apparently.

>In any case there is a long list of reasons why things just would not
>have been as shown in TESTAMENT.  A post-nuclear-war is very probably
>worse than we can imagine, and the town in TESTAMENT was not.

  I'll grant you that.  TESTAMENT sought to show the fatalism that
would arise after the big war.  I found it far more believable than
THE DAY AFTER, as that show had everyone assuming that, even though
they were in a major target area, they had little trouble hoping to
survive, and in fact believed after each death that that was the last
one.
				--Scooter! @ mathnews2 @ watdcsu
				(mathNOOS[editors])	UW Dept.
							Computing
							Services
							UNIX(*)

mathNEWS--the math student newspaper at the University of Waterloo

{allegra|clyde|linus|inhp4|decvax}!watmath!water!watdcsu!mathnews2    UUCP
mathnews2%watdcsu@waterloo.csnet                                      CSNET
mathnews2@watdcsu                                                     NETNORTH

(*)UNIX is a trademark of AT+T Bell Labs.
--
mathNEWS--the math student newspaper at the University of Waterloo

{allegra|clyde|linus|inhp4|decvax}!watmath!water!watdcsu!mathnews2    UUCP
mathnews2%watdcsu@waterloo.csnet                                      CSNET
mathnews2@watdcsu                                                     NETNORTH

jimc@haddock.UUCP (03/09/85)

Just a tid-bit:  *The Fate of the Earth* was written by Jonathan Schell,
a magazine columnist who I believe has done work for New York Magazine.

I agree with your assessment of *Testament*; I thought the acting
was marvelous (particularly Jane Alexander's performance), but it
just didn't show enough destruction to accurately reflect the
nightmare of nuclear war.  Also, some of the dialogue was sappy
and unbelievable ("Your children are not dead; they have simply
gone away until the world deserves them").  Still, I suppose that
if nuclear war were accurately portrayed, there would be no story
or drama, just death and dying in its many ghastly forms.

				Jim Campbell

leeper@ahutb.UUCP (m.r.leeper) (03/11/85)

REFERENCES:  <524@ahutb.UUCP>, <1090@watdcsu.UUCP>

Discussing flaws in TESTAMENT:

>>On the contrary, some survivors were
>>headed up to Canada where the cold alone would have been deadly.
>
>  Canada isn't that cold, and would be only three or four degrees
>colder than San Francisco (Celsius).  Canada also would, in the more
>remote areas, be less ravaged by radiation, and could serve, through
>use of hothouses (yes, you can have hothouses in freezing
>temperatures; my father has done that for years), as a storehouse for
>the remnants of civilisation.

I would refer you to THE COLD AND THE DARK by Ehrlich, Sagan et. al.
The charts on page 98 show in one plausible model temperatures dropping
25 degrees or so in the San Francisco area and 30 to 40 degrees in
Canada within 40 days after a nuclear strike.  The point is that Canada
is the wrong direction to go to avoid the effects of nuclear winter.
The point is that Canada is the wrong direction to go.

>>The breakdown of the social order was shown with one kid stealing a
>>bicycle.  With the the big (and many not-so-big) cities gone, there
>>would be no distribution of food.  Nothing grown would be safe.
>
>  If you'll note, the survivors accepted the fact that the end was
>inevitable, and just chose to live out their days as best as they
>could.  While I cannot recall anyone eating fresh food (remember the
>storeroom with all the cans and jars), it wouldn't really matter to
>them whether the food was contaminated or not, they were going to die,
>anyhow.

That may have been their attitude, but food shortages would be
widespread.  There would be several thousand scavangers scouring the
countryside for food.  This town would be discovered very quickly.

>>Then there would be disease.  Within a large radius around targets
>>there would be millions dying with nobody to bury them.  Disease would
>>run rampant with no real facilities to stop it.  The town in TESTAMENT
>>is hardly isolated enough that the disease would not come there.  The
>>people on the fringes of the destruction and even the air currents
>>would carry it.
>>
>>Then there are the injured and maimed.  The dubious assumption of the
>>film was that this town was far enough from any of the blasts to avoid
>>direct physical injuries.  It wouldn't have avoided the walking
>>wounded, it just wasn't that isolated.
>
>  The producers assumed, as there were no prospective medical
>facilities available, that the walking wounded would not be coming
>that way apparently.

The hoards would come for food and just what was in the medicine
cabinet and grocery stores.  They wouldn't just seek out hospitals and
Johnson and Johnson factories.

>>In any case there is a long list of reasons why things just would not
>>have been as shown in TESTAMENT.  A post-nuclear-war is very probably
>>worse than we can imagine, and the town in TESTAMENT was not.
>
>  I'll grant you that.  TESTAMENT sought to show the fatalism that
>would arise after the big war.  I found it far more believable than
>THE DAY AFTER,

Both were incredibly optimistic and unrealistic.  I strongly recommend
you see THREADS or if possible THE WAR GAME.  Or read "The Fate of the
Earth" by J.  Schell.  I am told WAR DAY by W.  Strieber is a science
fiction novel that has a reasonable treatment of the after effects of
nuclear war.  Films like ON THE BEACH or TESTAMENT serve to misinform
the public.  I am not trying to exaggerate out of ban-the-bombism (in
fact, I see some danger in lowering the number of nuclear weapons to
the level where one of the super-powers could think it might win a
nuclear war) but I really think that most of the public is out of touch
with how really terrible a nuclear war is.

				Mark Leeper
				...ihnp4!ahutb!leeper

srt@ucla-cs.UUCP (03/11/85)

Frankly, I couldn't care less whether or not TESTAMENT was an accurate
scientific description of the after-effects of a nuclear war.  That wasn't
the point of the movie at all.

TESTAMENT tried to show why nuclear war is bad idea, by showing the effect
of the war on one person and her family.  A depiction of nuclear winter might
move you to stand against nuclear war, but for me, the scenes where the
little boy died and where the recording is discovered on the answering
machine are much more likely to change my emotions and political stance.  A
film is hard-pressed to make a statement on broad, general issues without
showing how those issues become personal.

						-- Scott Turner

reiher@ucla-cs.UUCP (03/14/85)

I have a strange sense that this discussion is rapidly going to turn to
different opinions on the precise effects of nuclear war, just as the
discussions on "2010" slid into various topics in physics.  Before making
any more postings about "Testament", "Threads", or "The War Game" to
net.movies, consider if your posting is actually about the films themselves.
If not, try to move your discussion to another newsgroup.

				Thank you,
--

        			Peter Reiher
        			reiher@ucla-cs.arpa

mupmalis@watarts.UUCP (mike upmalis) (03/16/85)

> REFERENCES:  <524@ahutb.UUCP>, <1090@watdcsu.UUCP>
>
> Discussing flaws in TESTAMENT:
>
> >>On the contrary, some survivors were
> >>headed up to Canada where the cold alone would have been deadly.
> >
> >  Canada isn't that cold, and would be only three or four degrees
> >colder than San Francisco (Celsius).  Canada also would, in the more
> >remote areas, be less ravaged by radiation, and could serve, through
> >use of hothouses (yes, you can have hothouses in freezing
> >temperatures; my father has done that for years), as a storehouse for
> >the remnants of civilisation.
>
> I would refer you to THE COLD AND THE DARK by Ehrlich, Sagan et. al.
> The charts on page 98 show in one plausible model temperatures dropping
> 25 degrees or so in the San Francisco area and 30 to 40 degrees in
> Canada within 40 days after a nuclear strike.  The point is that Canada
> is the wrong direction to go to avoid the effects of nuclear winter.
> The point is that Canada is the wrong direction to go.

Two points, if there is a world wide cloud cover, then the plat level
of the food chain would be gone, you may as well be in tahiti till
you starve to death.

However, living in -30c +- 20c temperature is being done now
in the artic, Norway, Sweden and Siberia.  As long as
there is a food source, then there is hope.

Living in a mine would free one from reliance on heating required, and
if there was some power source available, hydroponics would do the trick.

I do like my chances in Canada I must admit......
--
~~
Mike Upmalis	(mupmalis@watarts)<University of Waterloo>