[net.movies] "The Adventures of Mark Twain By Huck Finn"

reiher@ucla-cs.UUCP (03/16/85)

I just saw this at Filmex (the Los Ageles International Film Exposition,
for those who haven't been listening).  The filmmakers requested that
no reviews be printed, as the film won't be out for about six months.
I will include a few brief comments.  The film is very good, in the fantasy/
adventure mold.  It is made by Will Vinton, the famous animator who works
in clay, using a process called Claymation.  Basically, this means sculpting
figures out of clay and then animating them.  Vinton has done some excellent
work in shorts.  Three and 1/2 years work by 25 animators using over two tons
of clay has produced an excellent feature film, as well.  Watch for previews,
particularly in the Pacific Northwest area, where Vinton is based.

Vinton has also recently done some effects work for Walter Murch's "Return
to Oz".  Vinton did some Claymation which turned rocks into trolls.  It's
supposed to be very effective.
--

        			Peter Reiher
        			reiher@ucla-cs.arpa

markp@tekig1.UUCP (Mark Pease) (03/19/85)

In article <4344@ucla-cs.ARPA> reiher@ucla-cs.UUCP writes:
>....  The filmmakers requested that no reviews be printed, as the film
>won't be out for about six months.....
>
>        			Peter Reiher
>        			reiher@ucla-cs.arpa
>        			{...ihnp4,ucbvax,sdcrdcf}!ucla-cs!reiher

I saw a "news" artical on a Disney Channel program, called "Epcot Magazine",
discribing the Claymation process. They showed several clips from "The
Adventures of Mark Twain By Huck Finn". The clips were very good! The flim
is a full length adventure story about the travles of Mark Twain with Huck
Finn and the rest of the crew of a wild looking ballon (like the one in
"Around the World in 80 Days".) This should be a fun film, and I here that
it will have its first public showing in Portland, Ore. I'll be one of the
first in line!

--
 "dignified and dependable"
				Mark Pease