[comp.lang.misc] SETL

lacey@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (John Lacey) (07/30/89)

In article <584@sjfc.UUCP> dlm@sjfc.UUCP (Don Muench) writes:
>Such a feature can be found in the new interactive language ISETL, a derivative
>of SETL.  ISETL was written by Gary Levin, Clarkson U, Potsdam, NY 13676, USA.
>I have used this language in teaching discrete math - it's very nice.  The
>only book that refers to it is Baxter, Dubinsky, Levin, "Learning Discrete
>Mathematics with ISETL",  Springer Verlag, 1989.

From what I understand about my `conversations' with Gary Levin, ISETL is
not a derivative of SETL, but simply an interactive implementation.  I found
that statement to be fairly accurate.  In which case there is another book
available, ``Programming with Sets: An Introduction to SETL.''  I posted
a question about this book (and SETL) about a month ago.  It too is
published by Springer-Verlag, and Dubinsky is one of the authors.

I found both books unsatisfying.  As I have said before, the Programming
with Sets book is in the style of the original Lisp 1.5 manual---the authors
can't seem to decide if they want to describe programming with sets, the SETL
language, or the particular implementation they are using.  In the end, they
don't adequately describe any of the three.

As for the discrete math text, if you follow the text, I think you taught
SETL using discrete math, rather than the other way around.  Now, I like
SETL, and I think it has great promise, and Gary Levin's implementation
I have found to be excellent.  But I don't think any good books about
either SETL or ISETL have been written yet.

Cheers,

--
John Lacey                      |     cornell!batcomputer!lacey
lacey@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu    |     lacey@crnlthry.bitnet

dsims@uceng.UC.EDU (david l sims) (10/16/90)

Greetings,

I'm looking for references to SETL (SET Language), the high-level
programming language. I have a book entitled, _Programming with Set
An Introduction to SETL_ by Schwartz et al, Springer-Verlag, 1986,
but I'm more interested in the original and subsequent research
papers that must have been published.

Please e-mail or post. Thank you.

David L. Sims
dsims@uceng.uc.edu

jeffj@mcs213k.cs.umr.edu (Jeff Jenness) (10/17/90)

In article <6416@uceng.UC.EDU> dsims@uceng.UC.EDU (david l sims) writes:
>I'm looking for references to SETL (SET Language), the high-level
>Please e-mail or post. Thank you.
>
>David L. Sims
>dsims@uceng.uc.edu

There are 2 subsequent projects that might interest you.

  1) The ISETL project at Clarkson University.
     This is the project of Gary Levin of the Math / CSc Dept.
     Primarily, he has implemented SETL within an interactive
     environment on a number of platforms.  The software, source
     and documentation can be obtained at clutx.clarkson.edu.

  2) The SETL2 project at New York University.
     This is the project of W. Kirk Snyder of the Courant Institute
     of Mathematical Sciences.  I have obtained the language
     definition (dated 1/8/90).  Apparently there is software
     available for a number of platforms also, but I have yet to
     get my copy.  (Anyone know of an anonymous ftp site?)

I am also interested what you are able to find out concerning other
projects.

--
Jeff Jenness
University of Missouri - Rolla

willi@unieinf.UUCP (Wilhelm Hasselbring) (10/23/90)

In article <1474@umriscc.isc.umr.edu> jeffj@mcs213k.cs.umr.edu (Jeff Jenness) writes:

>     2) The SETL2 project at New York University.
>	This is the project of W. Kirk Snyder of the Courant Institute of
>	Mathematical Sciences.  I have obtained the language definition (dated
>	1/8/90).  Apparently there is software available for a number of
>	platforms also, but I have yet to get my copy.  (Anyone know of an
>	anonymous ftp site?)

You can get the system on cs.nyu.edu (128.122.140.24).

>   I am also interested what you are able to find out concerning other
>   projects.

  3) The SETL/E project at the University of Essen.
	This system is actually under development. At the moment the language
	definition is only available in german.

Willi

willi@unieinf.UUCP (Wilhelm Hasselbring) (10/23/90)

I forgot to append my signature. Sorry.

#-----------------------------------------------------------------------#
| Wilhelm Hasselbring                                                   |
| University of Essen                                                   |
| Department of Software Engineering                                    |
| Schuetzenbahn 70                      Tel.: (+49 201 183 2168)        |
| D-4300 Essen 1                        Fax.: (+49 201 183 2419)        |
| F. R. Germany                         willi@informatik.uni-essen.de   |
#-----------------------------------------------------------------------#

rwahbe@madrone.Berkeley.EDU (Robert Wahbe) (05/01/91)

Does anybody know where I can get a setl compiler or interpreter?
I have access to Sun3, Sun4 and Dec3100 machines.

Thanks in advance,
Robert

snyder@acf5.NYU.EDU (W. Kirk Snyder) (05/02/91)

rwahbe@madrone.Berkeley.EDU (Robert Wahbe) writes:

>Does anybody know where I can get a setl compiler or interpreter?
>I have access to Sun3, Sun4 and Dec3100 machines.

>Thanks in advance,
>Robert

I don't think NYU distributes SETL anymore, but you can get the
authoritative word on that by writing to Matthew Smosna
(smosna@cs.nyu.edu).  It only runs on Sun3's, of the machines you
mentioned.

SETL2 will run on any of the machines you have.  You can get the system
and documentation in PostScript format via anonymous ftp at cs.nyu.edu.

-- Kirk Snyder

wdr@wang.com (William Ricker) (05/04/91)

I don't know about SETL distribution, but the ISETL interactive version
was listed in COMP.ARCHIVES master file as being at:
clutx.clarkson.edu                 128.153.4.3     BBSLists Batch ISETL
which is reasonable since clarkson is where Gary Levin made it interactive.

Reference: N.Baxter, E.Dubinsky, & G.Levin, /Learning Discrete Mathematics
with ISETL/, Springer-Verlag, 1988, cited in Proc. NEMATYC'90.

--
/s/ Bill Ricker                wdr@wang.wang.com
"The Freedom of the Press belongs to those who own one."