[comp.lang.misc] BETA-langauage?

rdbd34@vall.dsv.su.se (RDB-design grupp 34) (05/28/91)

Anyone heard of the BETA language ? It's said to be a better Simula.
Anyone knows where to get more info ? Is there a PD - compiler perhaps?

Thanks

Magnus Romedahl
E-mail:            ev9111@njord.fek.su.se

kend@data.UUCP (Ken Dickey) (05/28/91)

rdbd34@vall.dsv.su.se (RDB-design grupp 34) writes:

>Anyone heard of the BETA language ? It's said to be a better Simula.
>Anyone knows where to get more info ? Is there a PD - compiler perhaps?
>E-mail:            ev9111@njord.fek.su.se

I don't have the references handy, but there is an extended article in
Wegner's "Research Directions in Object Oriented Programming".

-Ken Dickey				kend@data.uucp

stt@inmet.inmet.com (05/29/91)

Re: The BETA Language.

There is an implementation of BETA done as part of the "Mjolner" project,
which was run (I think) by Ole Lehrmann Madsen of the
Computer Science Dept., Aarhus University, Denmark
(e-mail: olmadsen@daimi.dk).

You might want to start with the OOPSLA '89 proceedings
for a list of references.  The paper on BETA in OOPSLA '89 was :
"Virtual Classes -- A powerful mechanism in object-oriented programming"
by O. L. Madsen and B. Moller-Pedersen.
OOPSLA '89 (SigPlan Notices 24.10, Oct. 1989).

objtch@extro.ucc.su.OZ.AU (Peter Goodall) (06/05/91)

kend@data.UUCP (Ken Dickey) writes:

>rdbd34@vall.dsv.su.se (RDB-design grupp 34) writes:

>>Anyone heard of the BETA language ? It's said to be a better Simula.
>>Anyone knows where to get more info ? Is there a PD - compiler perhaps?
>>E-mail:            ev9111@njord.fek.su.se

>I don't have the references handy, but there is an extended article in
>Wegner's "Research Directions in Object Oriented Programming".

>-Ken Dickey				kend@data.uucp

 In comp.archives recently I saw a reference to a f.t.p. site which had an
implementation of BETA for the Macintosh.

Sorry, I haven't got the details.
--
Peter Goodall - Smalltalk Systems Consultant - objtch@extro.ucc.su.oz.au
      ObjecTech Pty. Ltd. - Software Tools, Training, and Advice