[comp.lang.misc] GW-BASIC compiler???

fzcapit@MIZAR.UCDAVIS.EDU (John Capitanio) (06/17/91)

I've just written a little routine for data analysis in GW-BASIC,
and was wondering if a compiler exists for this implementation
of the language.  I used a BASIC compiler on a PICK system
years ago, so I know there *are* compilable BASICs.  Is this
one, and if so, can someone point me toward a good (read cheap)
one?  Also, please let me know if such a request belongs in
a better newsgroup.  I've noticed that (at least on our system)
there is no "comp.lang.basic" newsgroup.

Many thanks.

Please email to:
     jpcapitanio@ucdavis.edu

John

pshuang@athena.mit.edu (Ping-Shun Huang) (06/19/91)

In article <0094A422.13189AC0@MIZAR.UCDAVIS.EDU> fzcapit@MIZAR.UCDAVIS.EDU (John Capitanio) writes:

 > I've just written a little routine for data analysis in GW-BASIC,
 > and was wondering if a compiler exists for this implementation
 > of the language.

Microsoft's QuickBASIC is a very good compiler (strictly speaking a
threaded p-code interpreter, but convincingly fast).  They're releasing
a slightly crippled version of it (probably won't be able to compile to
stand-alone executables) with DOS 5.0, so it may be cheaper for you to
upgrade your DOS and get QuickBASIC to play with at the same time.
Borland used to ship a product called Turbo BASIC, but they have handed
it over to the company which wrote it and is now marketing it under the
name PowerBASIC 2.0, I believe.

A general recommendation is to call the Programmer's Connection (try
1-800-555-1212) for one of their catalogs, as they specialize in
providing programming tools and have difficult to find products.

--
Singing off,
UNIX:/etc/ping instantiated (Ping Huang)

goer@ellis.uchicago.edu (Richard L. Goerwitz) (06/28/91)

fzcapit@MIZAR.UCDAVIS.EDU (John Capitanio) writes:

>I've just written a little routine for data analysis in GW-BASIC,
>and was wondering if a compiler exists for this implementation
>of the language.  I used a BASIC compiler on a PICK system
>years ago, so I know there *are* compilable BASICs.  Is this
>one, and if so, can someone point me toward a good (read cheap)
>one?

You'll probably get flamed for posting about BASIC on the net,
but in fact there is a nice, structured implementation of the
language that you can get for MS-DOS called QuickBasic.  I got
a copy for my 5 year-old, and played with it myself for a while.
It's neat.  It's kind of like a BASIC/Pascal portmanteau.

Call Microsoft.

--

   -Richard L. Goerwitz              goer%sophist@uchicago.bitnet
   goer@sophist.uchicago.edu         rutgers!oddjob!gide!sophist!goer