[comp.lang.apl] Moving APL functions and variables

ljdickey@water.UUCP (03/01/87)

I am interested in moving APL workspaces.  This could be done using the
APL WorkSpace Interchange Standard (WSIS), but WSIS is difficult
and not widely understood.

My immediate goal is to explore other possibilites.
There are several different "escape sequence" methods, such as
those devised by DEC, Xerox, and Honeywell.  There is another one
recently devised by Iverson himself.  Another possibility is
to adopt a conventional "atomic vector".

We could build some APL functions or other
programs to help with the task.
And maybe ARC would would help, or maybe SHAR, UUENCODE, or
other POSIX (think UN*X) tools could be used to help move
thing around, after we settle on a good representation.

The idea is to be able easily to move APL functions and
variables around this network and others.

We would carry on this exploration via a mailing list of
all interested, or through the group  "comp.lang.apl".

Are you interested in exploring these questions too?

--
 L. J. Dickey, Faculty of Mathematics, University of Waterloo.
 ljdickey@water.UUCP    ljdickey%water@waterloo.CSNET

ken@braegen.UUCP (Ken Marchant) (03/07/87)

> I am interested in moving APL workspaces.  This could be done using the
> APL WorkSpace Interchange Standard (WSIS), but WSIS is difficult
> and not widely understood.
>
> The idea is to be able easily to move APL functions and
> variables around this network and others.
>
> We would carry on this exploration via a mailing list of
> all interested, or through the group  "comp.lang.apl".
>
> Are you interested in exploring these questions too?
>
> --
>  L. J. Dickey, Faculty of Mathematics, University of Waterloo.

Count me in. We do a lot of that junk here and have typically implemented
something either WSIS based (subset) or something sharish. The problems
we run into occur when floating point arrays are used and precision changes as
a result of format on host and execute or quad FI or whatever on the local.
Our neatest methods have revolved around "native" file support in stsc APL's
to xfer between UNX and PC versions. The floating point representation
is the same so we can transfer the raw data and work from there.

--
			Ken Marchant
			The Braegen Group, Toronto, Ontario