[comp.lang.apl] apl on an at&t unix 3b2

cf@vax1.acs.udel.EDU (BRYDEN) (12/02/87)

I'm looking for source code for apl.  I checked purdue's computers.
(the apl that we have on our main machine at the u o'dee was derived
from something written at purdue.)

What i need to do eventually is get apl up and running on a very
inadequate at&t 3b2 (any one from at&t out there?).

If anybody has seen any C code for apl on any machine anywhere please
give me a lead, and I'll do the rest.

thanks muchly for reading this.

cf(bryden)

dd@beta.UUCP (Dan Davison) (12/03/87)

In article <399@udccvax1.acs.udel.EDU>, cf@vax1.acs.udel.EDU (BRYDEN) writes:
> I'm looking for source code for apl.  I checked purdue's computers.
> (the apl that we have on our main machine at the u o'dee was derived
> from something written at purdue.)
>
> If anybody has seen any C code for apl on any machine anywhere please
> give me a lead, and I'll do the rest.
> cf(bryden)

The DECUS tapes (check the catalog) has a PD APL which I vaguely recall was
written in C (DECUS C) but it might have been fortran.  We had an APL appli-
cation which we ported from the PC to the VAX using this one.

dan davison/theoretical biology/t-10 ms k710/los alamos national laboratory
los alamos, nm 875545/dd@lanl.gov (arpa)/dd@lanl.uucp(new)/..cmcl2!lanl!dd
"I refuse to be intimidated by reality any more"  "What is reality anyway?
Nuthin' but a collective hunch!" --Jane Wagner,via Lily Tomlin
--

ljdickey@water.UUCP (12/04/87)

In article <13027@beta.UUCP> dd@beta.UUCP (Dan Davison) writes:
>In article <399@udccvax1.acs.udel.EDU>, cf@vax1.acs.udel.EDU (BRYDEN) writes:

>> I'm looking for source code for apl.
>> If anybody has seen any C code for apl on any machine anywhere please
>> give me a lead, and I'll do the rest.
>The DECUS tapes (check the catalog) has a PD APL which I vaguely recall was
>written in C (DECUS C) but it might have been fortran.   ...

You might also check with Ken Yap  (ken@rochester.uucp).  He has done some
nice things with this code, in fixing problems with byte order for
porting to other systems, and fixing some bugs.

--
 L. J. Dickey, Faculty of Mathematics, University of Waterloo.
 ljdickey@watmath.UUCP		UUCP: ...!uunet!watmath!ljdickey

gmark@ihlpf.UUCP (12/04/87)

In article <399@udccvax1.acs.udel.EDU>, cf@vax1.acs.udel.EDU (BRYDEN) writes:
> I'm looking for source code for apl.  I checked purdue's computers.
> (the apl that we have on our main machine at the u o'dee was derived
> from something written at purdue.)
>
> What i need to do eventually is get apl up and running on a very
> inadequate at&t 3b2 (any one from at&t out there?).
>
> If anybody has seen any C code for apl on any machine anywhere please
> give me a lead, and I'll do the rest.
>
> thanks muchly for reading this.
>
> cf(bryden)

Yes.  I've been trying for the last couple months to get APL on my
3B1!  FIRST time, someone said they'd send it to me on two or three floppies.
SECOND time, there was a complied version that "might work with some hacking".
THIRD time, I got a call from someone who would send the thing in a week
or so.  ALL THREE OF THESE OFFERS DISAPPEARED!  Were they the same person?
Is this a conspiracy?  What have I done?  I'll bet IBM is attacking AT&T
subversively by trying to keep APL off UNIX PCs and minis!  Diabolical.
If ANYONE out there has managed to pry a copy of C-source for APL away from
one of these IBM subversives, PLEASE be kind to a former APL "guru" and
former IBM employee and spirit a copy my way.

			G. Mark ("So-THAT'S-what-they-thought-of-me!") Stewart
			ATT-BTL Napverville, IX 1G-266
			(312)979-0914 ixlpq!gms