[comp.lang.apl] Terminal Emulator & APL

???@cs.vu.nl (???) (02/15/88)

I am currently working on the implementation of an expert-system
shell in APL. I'll only do a small portion of the work, but anyway
I would like to do some of the programming at home.
The problem is that I don't have a terminal emulator that's capable
of handling the APL character set. By the way, I'm connecting with
an IBM 3090 mainframe through a 1200-baud modem and a PC Clone,
using ProComm version 2.42

I'm sure that there are other people in the APL community who have
or have had this problem; I would be very grateful if someone could
fill me in on how to tackle it.
By the way, I've read about the MEDIT workspace ; is it any good ?

My email address is : bagron@cs.vu.nl
Rene Baart
School of Business Administration
Free University of Amsterdam, The Netherlands

ljdickey@water.waterloo.edu (Lee Dickey) (02/19/88)

In article <375@vu45.cs.vu.nl> bagron@cs.vu.nl (Rene Baart) writes:
]
]I am currently working on the implementation of an expert-system
]shell in APL. I'll only do a small portion of the work, but anyway
]I would like to do some of the programming at home.
]The problem is that I don't have a terminal emulator that's capable
]of handling the APL character set. By the way, I'm connecting with
]an IBM 3090 mainframe through a 1200-baud modem and a PC Clone,
]using ProComm version 2.42    ...

	I suggest that you look at the following three APL products,
	all of which have some sort of terminal support.

		IPSA APL
		STSC APL*PLUS
		WATCOM APL

Each has its own way of doing things.
By the way, IPSA APL has just been declared shareware.

--
 L. J. Dickey, Faculty of Mathematics, University of Waterloo.
 ljdickey@watmath.UUCP		UUCP: ...!uunet!watmath!ljdickey

eichin@athena.mit.edu (Mark W. Eichin) (02/21/88)

In article <1413@water.waterloo.edu> ljdickey@water.waterloo.edu (Lee Dickey) writes:
>By the way, IPSA APL has just been declared shareware.
>--
> L. J. Dickey, Faculty of Mathematics, University of Waterloo.
> ljdickey@watmath.UUCP		UUCP: ...!uunet!watmath!ljdickey
> ljdickey%water@waterloo.edu	ljdickey@watdcs.BITNET
> ljdickey%water%waterloo.csnet@csnet-relay.ARPA
Wow, finally a free/inexpensive APL.

2 questions:
	1) What does it run on? (I assume only IBMPC?)
	2) Are there any other low-budget APL's out there? How about
with source?
				Mark Eichin
			<eichin@athena.mit.edu>
		SIPB Member & Project Athena ``Watchmaker''

PS. mit-multics is gone, so I don't have anywhere to use apl anymore. sigh...

ljdickey@water.waterloo.edu (Lee Dickey) (02/24/88)

In article <3121@bloom-beacon.MIT.EDU> eichin@athena.mit.edu (Mark W. Eichin) writes:
>In article <1413@water.waterloo.edu> ljdickey@water.waterloo.edu (Lee Dickey) writes:
>>By the way, IPSA APL has just been declared shareware.

>Wow, finally a free/inexpensive APL.

... and first rate, too.

>2 questions:
>	1) What does it run on? (I assume only IBMPC?)

Yes, and the XT, AT, the PS/2, and clones.  For more information,
call I.P.Sharp Associates in Rochester New York or Toronto Ontario.

>	2) Are there any other low-budget APL's out there? How about
>		with source?

Sure, here are two "free" APL's  and two "budget" APL's:
Free ones first:

Notable is the Purdue APL (APL\11) that now comes with the Berkeley BSD
tapes.  (Not to be confused with APL/11 or VAX APL/11 distributed by
DEC.) A port of the Purdue code to the SUN was done by ken@rochester.
In doing this he solved the byte order problem and solved many source
code problems.  He also designed a character set that shows on the Sun
screen.  Write to ken@rochester for more information.

There is I-APL, (International APL, the free APL for schools).  It is a
new APL and is ISO standard conforming. Probably the first with a
statement of conformance.  Ports for a number of different systems have
been done.  If you are an assembly code programmer and you would like
to do a port to your faviorite machine, write to
	I-APL, 2 Blenheim Rd, St. Albans, Herts AL1 4NR, UK
for more info.

There are good budget APL's:

The fastest APL for micros is APL.68000 for the Mac, Amiga, and the Atari.
Only $99.  Call Spencer Organization in Westwood New Jersey.
High quality stuff.  Good screen, mouse interface.  Recommended.

STSC markets "Pocket APL", a mini version of APL*PLUS for about 50.
They are in Rockville Maryland.  Recommended.

--
	ljdickey@water.UUCP	...!uunet!water!ljdickey