[net.movies] Friday the 13th Part V & other ridiculousness

reiher@ucla-cs.UUCP (03/26/85)

In article <4502@ucla-cs.ARPA> Jeanne Douglas <jeanne> writes:
>It's not bad enough we're subjected to the sleaze of
>another Friday the 13th movie--we've also got
>"Porky's Revenge" to try to ignore.

Ignoring this trash isn't enough.  Go out and see something else.  This
positive action lessens the relative grosses of manure like "Friday the 13th
V" and "Porky's Revenge", making them look less profitable in comparison to
other films and thus discouraging producers from making them.  It's not much,
but if everyone who says they hate these films did it, it might have some
impact.  Fortunately, there are any number of worthy films out now.  Try
"Witness", "The Sure Thing", "The Purple Rose of Cairo", "Blood Simple", "The
Breakfast Club", or "Lost in America".  If you've seen all of these, there are
less well known films worthy of attention, or go back to see some of the big
Acadamy Award winners again.  "Amadeus", "The Killing Fields", and "A Passage
to India" are still around.  Two of the Acadamy Award nominated foreign films
are currently playing in LA, and, for a foreign film, a couple hundred extra
admissions is a noticeable difference.  It would be great if the more discerning
portion of the audience actually did something to counteract garbage rather
than just talking about it.  If you have more energy, consider writing
outraged letters to the offending studios.
--

        			Peter Reiher
        			reiher@ucla-cs.arpa