[comp.lang.apl] Shareware SHARP APL/PC

Roland_Henry_Pesch@cup.portal.com (02/24/88)

I have access to the shareware SHARP APL/PC (yes, IBM PC or clone only,alas).
I'm inclined to post it to this group, but I'm relatively new to the net
and not too certain whether that's considered kosher (for instance, I do
happen to work for IPSA).  I assume it would be more likely to reach
interested parties here than in some IBM/PC group, but I'm not certain
about that either.  So---
    1: Does anyone want it?  (Note: this is essentially the same as mainframe
SHARP APL---though it may not be the very latest release; I haven't checked---
but, in particular, the interpreter itself is compiled for the System 370
architecture, and on the PC it runs on a 370 emulator.  Means very reliable
interpreter, but don't look for the utmost speed from your PC this way!
It's quite useable, just slower than APLs actually written for PCs.
  Also---EGA support for APL chars is included, and I can dig up and
include also Hercules support, but if you're limited to the chars
available on a ROM you'll need a ROM with APL chars on it if you want
things to look right.  The ROM is neither free nor postable! 8-) )

  2) Assuming there's some interest, is it OK to post it to this group?
Is another group better?  Should I cross-post?

Please comment!
                                  /Roland Pesch
			usenet: pesch@cup.portal.com
			IPSAnet: pesch@ipsaint
			phone: (415) 327-1700

guest@mit-hermes.ai.mit.edu.AI.MIT.EDU (G. U. Est Random) (03/26/88)

In article <3441@cup.portal.com> Roland_Henry_Pesch@cup.portal.com writes:
>I have access to the shareware SHARP APL/PC (yes, IBM PC or clone only,alas).
>    1: Does anyone want it?  ....

I do!!!  Please do post it.  I'm also pretty new to the net & don't know what
people think of such postings, but I see shareware in comp.binaries.ibm.pc
all the time & suspect that there's nothing wrong with posting it here.

>  Also---EGA support for APL chars is included, and I can dig up and
>include also Hercules support....

Please do find both EGA and Hercules support.

Thanks a lot! :-)

				--Scott Horne

shorne@amber.cs.clemson.edu
BITNET:  PHORNE@CLEMSON

Scott Horne
P.O. Box 9495
Univ. Stat.
Clemson, SC   29632

803 656-8181

bernd@actisb.UUCP (Bernd-Gunter Nitzler) (03/27/88)

In article <2959@mit-hermes.ai.mit.edu.AI.MIT.EDU> guest@hermes.ai.mit.edu.UUCP (G. U. Est Random) writes:
>In article <3441@cup.portal.com> Roland_Henry_Pesch@cup.portal.com writes:
>>I have access to the shareware SHARP APL/PC (yes, IBM PC or clone only,alas).
>>    1: Does anyone want it?  ....
>
>I do!!!  Please do post it.
>>  Also---EGA support for APL chars is included, and I can dig up and
>>include also Hercules support....

I also want it, and it would be nice if I can get the source so I can
add some enhancements like GENOA 800*600 support and have not to test
it for a virus on an empty machine.

Bernd.
--
Bernd-Gunter Nitzler                    VoiceNet: 49 / (30) 88 43 01-31
ACTIS in Berlin GmbH                    UUCP: mcvax!unido!tub!actisb!bernd

amit@umn-cs.cs.umn.edu (Neta Amit) (03/27/88)

Roland Pesch from IPSA is the person in charge of the IPSA-APL Shareware.
His connection to the net is somewhat flaky, and not entirely
independent. He e-mailed to me 16/31 parts of the package, but had
to quit. Last Friday he surface-mailed the floppies to me.

Once I receive them, I'll install and briefly test that the basic
things work. I'll then post a message to this news group and to
comp.sys.ibm.pc;  I'll post the binaries to comp.binaries.ibm.pc;
I'll mail a message to simtel20 administrators suggesting that they
offer the package; and I'll put it for anon-ftp at umn-cs.cs.umn.edu.

Hang on there.

--
  Neta Amit
  U of Minnesota CSci

rob@conexch.UUCP (Robert Collins) (03/29/88)

The SHARP/APL shareware you are referring to, is the old SHARP/PC
system that they sold for $75.00 originally.  It is actually IBM 360
object code running through an emmulator for PC.  In other words, it
is SLOW (slower than any acceptable standard).  The source code isn't
available, as it is written for the 360, and is the same SHARP system
that they sell for the mainframe.

I was at a demo for the product when it was introduced, and an audience
member asked "Since it's 360 code, can I upload it to my mainframe and
run it?"  Sharp replied "If you do, we'll sue you."  So apparently, with
some minor mods, it will run on the mainframe.

| Be imitators of God, therefore, as dearly loved children and |
| live a life of love, just as Christ loved us and gave himself|
| up for us as a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God.       |
|                                                   Eph. 5:1,2 |
+------------------------------+-------------------------------+
| Robert Collins               | Sykes Systems, Inc            |
| 3361 Keys Lane               | Specializing in APL           |
| Anaheim, Ca.  92804          | 4649 Willens Ave.             |
| (714) 995-7344 (Home)        | Woodland Hills, Ca.  91364    |
| (714) 229-0284 (Work)        | (818) 704-9894                |
+------------------------------+-------------------------------+

Roland_Henry_Pesch@cup.portal.com (03/30/88)

Neta Amit, from U of Minnesota CSci, is very kindly helping to
put SAPL/PC shareware on the net.

I'm very glad of the help, but thought I should make a minor comment---
Amit's article included the sentence
>Roland Pesch from IPSA is the person in charge of the IPSA-APL Shareware.

I'm not actually "in charge"---I'm just one of the few people at IPSA
currently on the Usenet at all, so I decided to try to distribute it
here.  With Amit's help, it should indeed be available soon.

	Roland Pesch
	pesch@cup.portal.com   *or*  {sun,uunet}!hoptoad!snoopy!pesch

ljdickey@water.waterloo.edu (Lee Dickey) (04/04/88)

In article <240@conexch.UUCP> rob@conexch.UUCP (Robert Collins) writes:

>The SHARP/APL shareware you are referring to [ .. ] is actually IBM 360
>object code running through an emmulator for PC.  In other words, it
>is SLOW (slower than any acceptable standard).  The source code isn't
>available, as it is written for the 360, and is the same SHARP system
>that they sell for the mainframe.

	Yes, I think you are right.  On the other hand, if compares
favorably to the other free apl for the PC.  Where else can you get a
component file system, enclosed arrays, complex numbers, as well as a
fine and complete APL for this price?  Some would consider it a great
advantage to get exactly the results on the micro that are exactly the
same as those they get on the mainframe system.

--
 L. J. Dickey, Faculty of Mathematics, University of Waterloo.
	ljdickey@waterloo.edu

amit@umn-cs.cs.umn.edu (Neta Amit) (04/05/88)

IPSA's APL shareware is definitely not lightning fast. On the other hand,
it is quite respectful with a 12MHz 0-wait AT. Even better on a 386.
If it's your daily tool, you may want a bit more than that. If you're
an occasional user, or a student (or teacher) in a Prog Lang class, you
can only appreciate IPSA, particularly if you consider alternatives
(at the UofMN we're currently using Purdue's APL/11 on a Unix box).

--Neta