[comp.lang.apl] APL

jdc@naucse.UUCP (John Campbell) (04/29/88)

Does anyone know of a public domain APL (and/or BASIC) that runs
on VMS?  I thought I once saw a unix version.  Sometimes I'm able
to port a unix application to VMS--sometimes not.

Anyway, any information would be greatly appreciated.

(Basic?  Did he say BASIC?)
--
	John Campbell               ...!arizona!naucse!jdc

	unix?  Sure send me a dozen, all different colors.

shorne@hubcap.clemson.edu (Scott Horne, ) (04/30/88)

From article <676@naucse.UUCP>, by jdc@naucse.UUCP (John Campbell):
> Does anyone know of a public domain APL (and/or BASIC) that runs
> on VMS?  I thought I once saw a unix version.

I don't have an answer to this question, but does anyone know of
a public-domain APL for UNIX?  I'd like one that I could use with several
UNIX machines, including Suns, VAXes, and others.  It would be especially
nice if such an APL would support the APL character set on Sun graphics
terminals; actually, even if it didn't, I could probably hack to get it
to work with an APL font that works under Suntools.  Even an APL that
doesn't support the character set would be very useful.

Thanks.

				--Scott Horne

BITNET:		PHORNE@CLEMSON
Smart mailer:	shorne@{hazel,citron,amber}.cs.clemson.edu (?)
		(If that doesn't work, send to cchang@hubcap.clemson.edu)
uucp:		....!gatech!hubcap!scarle!{hazel,citron,amber}!shorne
SnailMail:	Scott Horne
		812 Eleanor Dr.
		Florence, SC   29501
VoiceNet:	803 667-9848

perry@vu-vlsi.Villanova.EDU (Rick Perry) (05/01/88)

In article <1534@hubcap.UUCP> shorne@hubcap.clemson.edu writes:
>From article <676@naucse.UUCP>, by jdc@naucse.UUCP (John Campbell):
>> Does anyone know of a public domain APL (and/or BASIC) that runs
>> on VMS?  I thought I once saw a unix version.
>
>I don't have an answer to this question, but does anyone know of
>a public-domain APL for UNIX?

We have a Unix APL that doesn't work on our Pyramid 90x machine.
Its README says, in part:
|---
| This is Purdue/EE's APL, which originally was written by Ken Thompson
| at Bell.  It went to Yale for a while, and came to Purdue via a Chicago
| distribution in (I think) 1976.  Jim Besemer (now with Tektronix in
| Oregon) made many of the extensions to the original V6 PDP-11 version,
| including quad I/O functions, the state indicator, internal label
| processing, and a number of primitive functions.  I began support of
| APL when Jim left in 1978 and have been handling it since then.
|
| The driving force behind all of the development and maintenance of APL
| at Purdue has been my major professor, Dr. Anthony P. Reeves.  Please
| forward bugs/comments/suggestions to Dr. Reeves or to me (UUCP site
| "pur-ee", login names "reeves" and "bruner").
| Authors:	John D. Bruner
| 		Lawrence Livermore Laboratory
| 		P.O. Box 808, L-276
| 		Livermore, CA  94550
| 		(415) 422-0758
|
| 		Prof. Anthony P. Reeves
| 		Cornell University, Phillips Hall
| 		Ithaca, NY  14853
| 		(607) 256-4296
|---

If you want to try it, I'm willing to send it.

...Rick			perry@vu-vlsi.UUCP, perry@vuvaxcom.BITNET

Dr. Rick Perry, Department of Electrical Engineering
Villanova University, Villanova, PA 19085, 215-645-4969, -4970