[net.movies] language and location in "The Gods Must Be Crazy"

mjc@cmu-cs-cad.ARPA (Monica Cellio) (02/19/85)

Does anyone know the name of the language in which "Sho Sha Losa" was sung in
"The Gods Must Be Crazy"?  Also, does anyone know the name of the place the
bushman was from, and where "the end of the world" actually was?

Thanks.

							-Dragon
--
UUCP: ...ucbvax!dual!lll-crg!dragon
ARPA: monica.cellio@cmu-cs-cad or dragon@lll-crg

jsc@ucbvax.ARPA (James Carrington) (02/22/85)

> Does anyone know the name of the language in which "Sho Sha Losa" was sung in
> "The Gods Must Be Crazy"?  Also, does anyone know the name of the place the
> bushman was from, and where "the end of the world" actually was?
>
> Thanks.
>
> 							-Dragon
> --
> UUCP: ...ucbvax!dual!lll-crg!dragon
> ARPA: monica.cellio@cmu-cs-cad or dragon@lll-crg

All I know is the location, which is the Kalihari (sp?) desert, which I believe
is in what used to be Rhodesia...
--
					James Steven Carrington
					jsc@berkeley.arpa

gtaylor@lasspvax.UUCP (Greg Taylor) (03/22/85)

In article <> mjc@cmu-cs-cad.ARPA (Monica Cellio) writes:
>Does anyone know the name of the language in which "Sho Sha Losa" was sung in
>"The Gods Must Be Crazy"?  Also, does anyone know the name of the place the
>bushman was from, and where "the end of the world" actually was?

Shosholoza is in the tribal language of Steven Biko's tribe. It means "go in
peace", and is often used as a benidiction in native African Liturgies.
(This is from memory, so it could be faulty). You can find a copy of the
song on an album called "Dingaku"-which may be pressed by Mercury Records
a couple of 3 years ago. It is hard to find...it was the soundtrack of an
illegal film, I believe.

The place at the end of the world is in East Africa...one of the homelands,
I think. Might be the Dogon plateau (?!)

Greg

morris@Shasta.ARPA (03/26/85)

> Shosholoza is in the tribal language of Steven Biko's tribe. It means "go in
> peace", and is often used as a benidiction in native African Liturgies.
> (This is from memory, so it could be faulty). You can find a copy of the
> song on an album called "Dingaku"-which may be pressed by Mercury Records
> a couple of 3 years ago. It is hard to find...it was the soundtrack of an
> illegal film, I believe.
>
> Greg

The song also appears on Peter Gabriel's EP `Biko', though slighty altered.
I have no idea if that is/was available here; I got my copy as an import
in Australia.  It was a few years ago, maybe about '81.

Kathy Morris
(decvax!decwrl!glacier!shasta!morris)