     Date: Wed, 8 Feb 89 01:27:26 EST
     From: tower@wheaties.ai.mit.edu (Leonard H. Tower Jr.)
     To: info-gnu@prep.ai.mit.edu
     Subject: latest task list

     GNU task list, last updated 24 Jan 1989

     Check with gnu@prep.ai.mit.edu, for a possibly more current copy.

     If you start working steadily on a project, please let gnu@prep know.
     We might have information that could help you; we'd also like to send
     you the GNU coding standards.
     .
     .
     .

     4. Other random projects:

     An imitation of dbase2 or dbase3 (How dbased!)

     A spreadsheet.

     An imitation of Page Maker or Ventura Publisher.

     Improve the free UCB version of the Ingres database system to
     make it competitive with RTI Ingres.

     Draw programs for the X window system.

     Font editor for the X window system.

     A music playing and editing system.

     Speech-generation programs.

     A Forth system.

     A Smalltalk system (this is being worked on).

     An APL system.         <---------------------*

     A Common Lisp system.

     A Logo system.  (We have one that you can start with,
     but certain parts of it are poorly written and must be replaced.)

     Optical character scanning programs.

     Note that graphics programs should be written to work with
     the X window system, a free portable window system from MIT and DEC
     that we will be using as the window system for GNU.

Michael J. A. Berrry

Internet: mjab@think.com
uucp:     {harvard}!think!mjab

ljdickey@water.waterloo.edu (Lee Dickey) (02/10/89)

In article <36229@think.UUCP> mjab@think.com writes:
>Does someone on this list know enough about I-APL to know if it would be
>easy to port it to GNU?  The free GNU software is getting ever wider
>distribution.   If I-APL is not appropriate, are there other APL's that
>might be donated?

I-APL was created with the idea in mind that it should be
easily ported to other machines and made freely available.

This might make it a natural for affiliation with the GNU project.

There two people to talk to about this:

	Edward Cherlin, Co-Chairman
	I-APL Limited
	6611 Linville Drive
	Weed California
	USA  96094

	Anthony Camacho, Co-Chairman
	I-APL Limited
	2 Blenheim Road
	St Albans, Herts
	UK  AL1 4N4

It is possible that neither of these people know about the Free
Software Foundation, and it is possible that FSW does not know about
I-APL.  The development of I-APL was funded by private contributions
and the result has been highly praised.  It is not blindingly fast, and
the workspaces are not huge, but it is good, and of all APLs, probably
comes closest to conforming to the standard.

--
    L. J. Dickey, Faculty of Mathematics, University of Waterloo.
	ljdickey@water.UWaterloo.ca	ljdickey@water.BITNET