[comp.lang.apl] APL Survey 89, summary

ljdickey@water.waterloo.edu (Lee Dickey) (02/12/89)

Here are the results of "APL Survey 89".  The questions asked were:

	(a)  Which APL interpreter do you use?
	(h)  On what Hardware?
	(o)  What Operating system?
	(w)  Have you used any version of the WorkSpace
	     Interchange Standard?  ( WSIS 0,  WSIS 1 )

I have extracted the answers to each response and include here
the names and at least one e-mail address that (I think) reaches
that person from my site.

I learned of APL-80 by Ramware for TRS 80.  I am told that the
phone is now disconnected.  I wonder, who was the APLer who
lived in Milford, NH?  Here is a summary of the responses.

                       --- === o === ---

Jan Deleeuw <deleeuw@math.ucla.edu>
	APL.68000
	Mac
	Mac
	No

shallit@eleazar.Dartmouth.EDU (Jeffrey Shallit)
	Dyalog APL
	Sun 3/50
	Unix
	No

	STSC APL
	Macintosh
	Mac operating system
	No

sjk@astro.as.utexas.edu (Scot Kleinman)
	WATCOM APL
	Commodore Super-PET SP-9000
	Super PET
	No

Mike Widom <mw1l+@andrew.cmu.edu>
	STSC APL*PLUS/UNX
	Sun3
	Unix
	Yes

	STSC APL*PLUS/UNX
	Microvax
	Unix
	Yes

mjab@Think.COM (Michael Berry)
	SAX (aka Sharp APL/UX)
	SUN 3 workstation
	UNIX
	Yes, WSIS 0, and wrote a workspace to read WSIS 1

stu@hawk.ulowell.edu (Stu Smith)
	VAX-APL on an
	8530 running
	VMS
	No

Ken Yap <ken@cs.rochester.edu>
	APL\11 (Thompson)
	Sun-3s
	Unix (SunOS 3.5)
	No

mckee@vu-vlsi.villanova.edu (Bruce McKee)
	STSC APL*PLUS, version 7.0
	IBM PC-AT, EGA Adaptor
	DOS?
	~

	STSC UNX*APL on a
	SUN 3/60
	OS version 3.5
	~

paul@moore.uucp (Paul Maclauchlan)
	STSC's APL PLUS UNIX
	Spectrix Series 30XL
	Xenix 3.0 (SCO)
	~

	APL*PLUS PC (v8.0)
	Compaq Deskpro 286's
	MSDOS 3.11
	No

"Udo Hafermann" <unido!infbs!infbsgr!hafer@uunet.UU.NET>
	APL.68000
	Atari ST
	GEMDOS
	No

	APL.68000
	Amiga
	Amiga Dos
	No

roberts%garnet.Berkeley.EDU (Seth Roberts)
	APL-11
	PDP-11/23
	RSX
	No

	STSC's APL*PLUS PC
	IBM PC/AT
	DOS
	No

uunet!fciva!dag (Daniel A. Graifer)
	STSC APL*PLUS/Mac 1.0
	Macintosh Plus w/ 2MBytes & 20MByte Disk
	last Mac OS & Finder before Multifinder
	yes, APL*PLUS's )IMPORT/)EXPORT

	STSC APL*PLUS/PC 7.1
	AST Premium286/140 (1MByte/40MByte 10MHz AT-clone)
	MS-DOS 3.3
	APL*PLUS's )IMPORT/)EXPORT

uunet!bywater!scifi!njs (Nicholas J. Simicich)
	IBM APL 1.0
	PC/XT
	PC/DOS 3.1
	No

Quentin Barnes <qbarnes@mcdurb.uucp>
	APL-80 by Ramware.  Milford, NH
	TRS-80 Model I, Z-80 CPU
	NEWDOS/80
	No

mcvax!nada.kth.se!d85-kai@uunet.UU.NET (Kai-Mikael J{{-Aro)
	STSC*APL
	IBM PC/XT
	MS/DOS
	No

simon@alberta.uucp (Simon Toritke)
	APL.68000
	Mac II
	Mac o/s v6.0.2
	no

	STSC APL*PLUS
	Mac Plus
	Mac o/s v6.0.2
	no

Urbano Adolfo (Al) Lopez <ul01+@andrew.cmu.edu>
	STSC APL PLUS/PC version 7
	Compaq 286 portable w/math coprocessor and STSC character ROM
	DOS 3.3
	No

DMM%s41.prime.COM (Don Markuson)
	MIPS APL
	Prime 50-series
	PRIMOS
	No

Tony Elmroth <elmroth@math.chalmers.se>
	APL2
	Hitachi 7/90
	VM/CMS
	no

pool@blake.acs.washington.edu (Jonathan Pool)
	APL*PLUS 1.0
	Macintosh Plus
	Macintosh HFS 6.0.2
	Yes, it comes with APL*PLUS for the Macintosh

Julian Cowley  <julian@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu>
	DEC's VAX APL V3.0-780
	Vax 8550
	VAX/VMS
	no

Bill Heagy <33045_1457@uwovax.uwo.ca>
	STSC APL*PLUS/pc ver 7.0
	IBM PC
	MS-DOS v2.1
	no

	STSC APL*PLUS/VMS ver 1.0
	VAX 780
	VMS
	no

uunet!uw-entropy!uw-june!bcsaic!ray ( ? )
<bcsaic!ray>
    Joe Peltier (*)
	APL-68000
	Amiga
	Intuition
	no

	APL2
	ABM PC/AT
	DOS
	no

    Bob Gailer (*)
	APL*PLUS
	Macintosh Plus
	Mac
	unknown

	IBM APL2
	Compaq 286
	DOS
	unknown

uunet!step!number1!perl (Robert Perlberg)
    Municipal Finance Dept. (*)
	STSC version 7.0
	IBM PS/2 Model 80
	DOS 3.3
	No

linus!mirror!prism.TMC.COM!peter (Peter Stucki)
peter@mirror.TMC.COM (Peter J. Stucki)
	STSC's APL-PC
	PC clone
	MS-Dos
	~

Jan Prins <prins@cs.unc.edu>
	TSC APL*PLUS UNX Rel 3.3
	un-3
	SunOS 3.2
	yes

	STSC APL*PLUS
	STSC timesharing production system
	VM/370
	no

puder%16bits.DEC@decwrl.dec.com (Karl Puder, VAX APL Development)
	VAX APL
	VAX
	VMS
	No

ontmoh!kates
	SCI APL (public domain from DECUS)
	VAX 750
	VMS
	~

Edward Pavelchek <ekp@mcnc.org>
	APL\11
	Vax8650
	BSD
	no

Leonard B. Bliss <blissl@ecsvax.bitnet>
	POCKET APL
	AT&T PC6300 with 640K RAM and 20MB har drive
	MS-DOS 3.0
	no

Tom Gallie <tmg@duke.cs.duke.edu>
	APL*PLUS II
	PS/2 model 80
	DOS 3.3
	no

lyndon@auvax (Lyndon Nerenberg)
	Apl as supplied on the 4.2 BSD tape
	VAX 11/785	 VAXstation 2000	Sun 3/160
	Ultrix 1.2	 Ultrix 2.3		SunOS 3.5
	No

uunet!mcvax!cernvax!hjm (Hubert J. Matthews)
	UNIX-11\APL written at Purdue
	VAX 8530
	Ultrix
	No

davids@csvax.caltech.edu (David Schweizer)
	STSC APL
	IBM PC/XT
	DOS
	no

wchang@ernie.Berkeley.EDU (William I-Wei Chang)
	STSC APL*PLUS for the Macintosh 1.0
	512K Enhanced Mac upgraded to 2 Meg RAM (Dove upgrade)
	Switcher 5.01
	No

raulmill%aludra.usc.edu@oberon.usc.edu (Raul Miller)
	apl.68000
	amiga 500, with 2.5 meg ram
	amigados
	no

	STSC apl plus v6
	xerox vanilla msdos
	msdos 2.0
	no

esalbert@scubed.com (Eric R. Salberta)
	APL.68000
	Amiga 1000
	AmigaDos 1.3
	no

ljdickey@water (Leroy J. Dickey)
	APL.68000
	Atari ST
	TOS
	yes

	Watcom APL
	IBM-PC
	DOS
	yes

	Honeyapple APL, 3.4
	Honeywell (BULL) DPS 8/49
	GCOS
	yes

--
    L. J. Dickey, Faculty of Mathematics, University of Waterloo.
	ljdickey@water.UWaterloo.ca	ljdickey@water.BITNET

phmb@otter.hpl.hp.com (Peter Brooks) (02/13/89)

Please excuse my ignorance, but who are STSC? Where do they live, and
how do you get their interpreter.

For the record, I use Hewlett Packard 3000 APL. It is a little old
but works remarkably well. It only runs on a series III (+/- 1975
technology) since HP didn't migrate the special microcode assist.
This interpreter has an interesting extension 'APLGOL' with loops
and the like, I feel that it defeats the object of the exercise but
perhaps it apeals to some.

I also use a home-rolled pascal implimentation which is not very robust,
but is good for trying new ideas - it runs on HP1000,HP3000, HP Pascal
workstations and I am currently porting it to a Vectra PC.

I have also played with a version that integrats APL and Lisp - a very
powerful combination.

Peter Brooks

ljdickey@water.waterloo.edu (Lee Dickey) (02/14/89)

In article <4020001@otter.hpl.hp.com> phmb@otter.hpl.hp.com (Peter Brooks) writes:
>Please excuse my ignorance, but who are STSC? Where do they live, and
>how do you get their interpreter.

	STSC, Inc.
	2115 E. Jefferson St.
	Rockville, MD
	USA  20852
	(301) 984-5471

This company started life as the Scientific Time Sharing Company
and in its early years shared code and developments with I.P.Sharp
Associates.  More recently both companies have gone their separate
ways, and both have gone through changes in ownership.  Now STSC
is owned by its employees.  They supply APLs for IBM equipment,
for UN*X machines, and for the Macintosh.