[comp.lang.apl] Looking for I-APL or APL-90

dietz@zhmti.UUCP (Dieter H. Zebbedies) (02/14/89)

Hello fellow APLers.  After hearing Dr. Iverson speak at a local ACM
chapter here in the area recently, he rekindled my long lost love for
the language.  (I was weaned on APL.SV on a 370/158 back in '76!)

I have a versions of the Thompson/Bruner/Reeves/4.3bsd-contributed APL
on unix, but am interested in a ``modern'' APL.

I understand that there are basically two camps these days: APL2 and
the APL dictionary factions.  Is this true?

Dr. Iverson showed us the dictionary, I believe it was a Quote-Quad
reprint somewhere in '87.  Anyone got the ref. to it so I can order it
from ACM?

Is APL-90 (france?) a dictionary based APL?  Is it binary shareware or
can I get source so as to compile for a Sun, Macintosh, PC?

Ditto for I-APL

He also mentioned the work being done by I.P.Sharp/STSC on SAX.  Dr.
Iverson was very enamoured with this particular implementation, and I
am encouraging everyone to make some noise to I.P.Sharp/STSC to make it
available (and at reasonable pricing to those of us with cheap Suns --
do you know that a 3/50 can be purchased for less than a Mac-II!  Get
real with the licensing fellas!)

What features does each (APL-90 / I-APL) have?  Which is easier to
port?  Is there a "cost-effective" (read ``cheap'') version of an APL
avail. on Suns?

Thanks for the help,

Dietz.
--
Dieter H. Zebbedies ('dee-ter  ayech  'zeb-ed-eez)
 Zebb-Hoff Mach. Tool's Automated Manufacturing Project Cleveland, OH

ljdickey@water.waterloo.edu (Lee Dickey) (02/16/89)

In article <4142@zhmti.UUCP> dietz@zhmti.UUCP (Dieter H. Zebbedies) writes:
>Dr. Iverson showed us the dictionary, I believe it was a Quote-Quad
>reprint somewhere in '87.  Anyone got the ref. to it so I can order it
>from ACM?

You want
	APL Quote Quad
	Volume 18, Issue 1, September, 1987.

You may request an order form from
	ACM Order Department,
	Waverley Press
	P.O. Box 64145
	Baltimore, Maryland
	USA  21264

I-APL may already be available for the Sun.  If not, I am sure
that the developers would supply you with source to port to it
to the Sun.  For more information on this, write to

	Edward Cherlin, Co-Chairman
	I-APL Limited
	6611 Linville Drive
	Weed California
	USA  96094

	Anthony CAmacho, Co-Chairman
	I-APL Limited
	2 Blenheim Road
	St Albans, Herts
	UK  AL1 4N4

>Is APL-90 (france?) a dictionary based APL?

no

> Is it binary shareware or
>can I get source so as to compile for a Sun, Macintosh, PC?

I think that for the forseeable future, APL-90 will continue to be
a Mac-only product.  For this, you should write to

	Jean-Jacques Girardot
	Ecole Nationale Superieure de Mines
	St. Etienne, France

I think that the software may be free.

--
    L. J. Dickey, Faculty of Mathematics, University of Waterloo.
	ljdickey@water.UWaterloo.ca	ljdickey@water.BITNET

mrys@ethz.UUCP (Michael Rys) (02/25/89)

In article <2101@water.waterloo.edu> ljdickey@water.waterloo.edu (Lee Dickey) writes:
>In article <4142@zhmti.UUCP> dietz@zhmti.UUCP (Dieter H. Zebbedies) writes:
>
>> Is it [APL90]  binary shareware or
>>can I get source so as to compile for a Sun, Macintosh, PC?
>

>I think that the software may be free.

There was a shareware version of APL90 for the Mac available at APL86 in
Manchester
U.K., but according to the summer 1988 issue of APL News (Springer
Verlag New York) they are turning it into a commercial pro
duct. According to the same source you may get it for a UNIX system as
well.

Cheers...Michael

Real-incarnation: Michael Rys; V. Conzettstr.34; CH-8004 Zurich;Switzerland
Voice: (++41) (1) 242 35 87
UUCP : mrys@ethz.UUCP
IPSANET/ReuterNET: mrys@ipsaint