[comp.lang.apl] Ampere Portable APL Computer

jcn@uncle.UUCP (James C. Nugen) (04/26/89)

    I just bought one of these babies at the Trenton Computer Fest.
I was wondering if anyone else out there has one, is still using, etc.
I didn't get the manuals, so I'm looking for a copy of those. And the
latest versions of the software if available.

If you have any information, please email me at jcn@uncle.
Thanks,
		James Nugen

hafer@infbs.UUCP (Udo Hafermann) (05/02/89)

Will there ever be an APL hand-held pocket calculator?

In article <1192@infbs.UUCP> hafer@infbs.UUCP (Udo Hafermann) writes:
>Will there ever be an APL hand-held pocket calculator?

I wouldn't be surprised if there were one pretty soon.  I've seen ads
for a hand-held symbolic math computer, and at the ANSI Common Lisp
committee meeting in March a Japanese representative was showing off a
hand-held Lisp computer.  The technology for a hand-held APL computer
exists, therefore.  Incorporate a vector co-processor into one of the
above designs and you could probably get decent performance for most
common operations.

Barry Margolin
Thinking Machines Corp.

barmar@think.com
{uunet,harvard}!think!barmar

neitzel@infbs.UUCP (Martin Neitzel) (05/06/89)

>Udo Hafermann asks:
UH>
UH>	Will there ever be an APL hand-held pocket calculator?

>Barry Margolin answers:
BM>
BM>	[...] Incorporate a vector co-processor [...]

... and a one-liner LCD display :-) :-)

					Martin (couldn't resist) Neitzel