[comp.lang.apl] VMS APL?!

eam@soleil.UUCP (Ed A. Mills) (07/04/89)

Anyone tried APL in VMS?  I just bought it for our VAX-Station 3100, and
if there are any users out there, drop me a line.  I was wondering if
under X-Windows, I could get the APL character set without a real APL
terminal.  Also, I wondered how good the product is...

Ed Mills
Harris Semiconductor
Melbourne, FL  32901

stripes@wam.UMD.EDU (07/04/89)

In article <727@soleil.UUCP> eam@soleil.UUCP (Ed A. Mills) writes:
>Anyone tried APL in VMS?  I just bought it for our VAX-Station 3100, and
>if there are any users out there, drop me a line.  I was wondering if
>under X-Windows, I could get the APL character set without a real APL
>terminal.  Also, I wondered how good the product is...
>
>Ed Mills
>Harris Semiconductor
>Melbourne, FL  32901

Rel 2 of APL*PLUS for VMS (from STSC) is in Beta test now, it includes
DECwindows support (it includes an APL charactor set).  If you want any
mail about it you will have to send me a bang path, my mailer doesn't like
.UUCP domain...
--
           stripes@wam.umd.edu             Disclaimer:
      Josh_Osborne@Real_World,The           I no longer work for STSC, but

rpandey@mist.CS.ORST.EDU (Rajeev Pandey) (07/05/89)

 This is from the 1989/90 DECUS Library Software Catalog:

  V00031 APL for VAX/VMS from SCI  Version V3.0, Feb. 1983

  Submitted by: Mike Liveright, Systems Control Technology, Palo Alto, CA

  Operating System: VAX/VMS V3.0 Source Language: FORTRAN 77

  Abstract: SCI APL is an interpreter for the "A Programming Language". APL is
  a mathematically structured programming interactive language that contains
  many functions that operate on numbers, vectors, and arrays of arbitrary
  order. APL has been applied both to scientific and business applications.

  SCI APL supports both the standard "ASCII" type terminals as well as those
  terminals that have the special "APL" character set and can process the
  "overstrike" required for true APL terminals.

  Notes: This is a relatively complete, partial implementation of APL. Thus
  there are some functions missing, and some bugs. In general, most of the
  important functions are implemented and the bugs seem to be minor.

  Media (service Charge Code): 600' Magnetic Tape (MA) Format: VAX/ANSI, or
  order VL0002

   Can anyone out there in netland comment on the quality of this (basically)
   free implementation? The Media costs are approx. $35. I was just wondering
   what "relatively complete, partial implementation" means......

--------
Dept. of Computer Science      |      Rajeev "Raju" Pandey
Computer Science Bldg. 100     |
Oregon State University        |      Internet: rpandey@cs.orst.edu
Corvallis, OR  97331-3902      |      UUCP:     tektronix!orstcs!rpandey
(503) 754-3273    U.S.A.       |      UUCP:     hplabs!hp-pcd!orstcs!rpandey