[comp.lang.apl] reading ascii files

lillian@spock.biostat.washington.edu (Lillian S. Lin) (09/14/89)

I would like to read data from a DOS (ascii) file into a workspace.  I
have about 350 observations, 9 variables and would really rather not
type it all in (again) if there is anything else I can do.  I have
read the material on {quad}NREAD but I don't understand it.  How do I
tell APL to convert from ascii to integer?  Do I have to convert
my data somehow first?

Thanks for any help you can give.
LL

rdnelson@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Roger D Nelson) (09/15/89)

In article <2242@uw-entropy.ms.washington.edu> lillian@spock.biostat.washington.edu (Lillian S. Lin) writes:

>I would like to read data from a DOS (ascii) file into a workspace.  I
>have about 350 observations, 9 variables and would really rather not
>type it all in (again) if there is anything else I can do.  I have
>read the material on {quad}NREAD but I don't understand it.  How do I
>tell APL to convert from ascii to integer?  Do I have to convert
>my data somehow first?

From your keywords I infer that you are using STSC APL*PLUS.  I use
an earlier version, but yours must be compatible.

After the quadNREAD you can use quadFI to convert the data.  It
converts character strings to numeric values, including decimal points
and high-minus.  Documentation is in System Functions.

Roger Nelson   rdnelson@princeton.phoenix.edu