[comp.lang.apl] APL interper for UNIX ?

mg27@prism.gatech.EDU (Michael J. Gourlay) (11/17/89)

  Is there an APL interpretter for UNIX based machines? Here at
Georgia Tech, there isn't one, and I'd like to install one. Does
anybody have info on where the source code, or binary code for
such a program might be in net.land?  I'd appreciate any info at all.

EMail it or post it here, please.

Thank you in advance.
--
Michael J. Gourlay					      GT Box 35431
Georgia Institute of Technology, School of Physics, Atlanta Georgia, 30332

ljdickey@water.waterloo.edu (L.J.Dickey) (11/19/89)

In article <3537@hydra.gatech.EDU> mg27@prism.gatech.EDU (Michael J. Gourlay) writes:

>  Is there an APL interpretter for UNIX based machines? Here at
>Georgia Tech, there isn't one, and I'd like to install one. Does
>anybody have info on where the source code, or binary code for
>such a program might be in net.land?  I'd appreciate any info at all.

There are several.

Commercial products:

	(1) SAX (Sharp APL for UNIX).

	(2) STSC*PLUS/UNX.

	(3) Dyalog APL.

All are great systems and integrated to varying degrees with UNIX.

Free:

	(1) APL\11.  We got ours from the BSD UNIX tape.
	I think that the most bug-free version has been
	worked up by Ken Yap ("ken@rochester.uucp").
	He solved certain byte order problems and added
	a character set for machines with bit-mapped screens.

	(2) I have heard about something distributed by DECUS
	but have no experience with it.  (I suspect that (1)
	is a sequel to (2).)

	(3) I-APL, maybe soon to be distributed by
	Free Software Foundation (the Gnu people)?
	Write to FSF and ask for progress report.

	(4) Work in progress:  J, a new "dictionary" APL.
	It may be a year before this sees the light of day.

Proprietary:

	(1) A.  Developed by Arthur Whitney at Morgan Stanley
	in New York.  Not for sale.

--
    L. J. Dickey, Faculty of Mathematics, University of Waterloo.
	ljdickey@water.UWaterloo.ca	ljdickey@water.BITNET