[net.movies] Good Plays

reiher@ucla-cs.UUCP (04/01/85)

In article <10128@browngr.UUCP> jfh@browngr.UUCP (John (Spike) Hughes) writes:
>Under Milk Wood, by Dylan Thomas. This latter is wonderful to see, as well,
>especially if the production is mostly done as a reading rather than as
>theatre (i.e. if only a few scenes are *acted* and the rest presented merely
>as dramatic reading).

There's a film version of "Under Milk Wood".  It's not much of a film, but
if you watch it just to hear Thomas' language, it can be a very fine experience,
especially since it stars Richard Burton as one of the male voices.  Peter
O'Toole is also in it, as Captain Cat.  Elizabeth Taylor has a small role.
Burton's voice is perfect for reading Thomas, and he is the main reason to
see the film.  Unless I'm mistaken, "Under Milk Wood" started life as a radio
play, and I think it might work best as a purely aural experience.
--
        			Peter Reiher
        			reiher@ucla-cs.arpa