[comp.lang.apl] diffs for APL-11?

ken@cs.rochester.edu (Ken Yap) (12/13/89)

> Can you make available your changes to apl-11 to make it run on a Sun3?
> I've played with it a little (the one from the 4.3 distrib tape) but
> I've never quite gotten it to work...

No, I did a massive lint check and also reformatted the code with cb
(or was it indent?). In retrospect maybe I shouldn't have done the
latter, but my eyes really hurt looking at the code and I thought maybe
Berkeley would take the updated version.

amull@Morgan.COM (Andrew P. Mullhaupt) (12/14/89)

In article <1989Dec12.180556.20137@cs.rochester.edu>, ken@cs.rochester.edu (Ken Yap) writes:
> > Can you make available your changes to apl-11 to make it run on a Sun3?
> > I've played with it a little (the one from the 4.3 distrib tape) but
> > I've never quite gotten it to work...
>
> No, I did a massive lint check and also reformatted the code with cb
> (or was it indent?). In retrospect maybe I shouldn't have done the
> latter, but my eyes really hurt looking at the code and I thought maybe
> Berkeley would take the updated version.

This is too close to home. I can't really go into specifics because
Arthur would kill me, but I've had a very similar experience with
our own interpreter and my brand new OS: SCO UNIX System V/386 r3.2,
especially the part about the source code hurting the eyes. If it
wasn't proprietary, there are parts of that source which would make
the Obfuscated C contest look like the 'Over-verbose COBOL contest'.
Also: I can't run the code through cb cause cb breaks when I try...

Do all APL interpreters get written by people with very personal
definitions of readability?

Later,
Andrew Mullhaupt

ken@cs.rochester.edu (Ken Yap) (12/15/89)

|Do all APL interpreters get written by people with very personal
|definitions of readability?

I sense you are about to get on a hobbyhorse about languages and
readability. It wasn't much worse than some postings to source
newsgroups. The point was that I was doing to make some significant
hacks to the code and I decided that if it was going to be revamped I
might at least have a standard indentation style to make MY life
easier.

The generalization based on a sample of two is not justified.

jaxon@uicsrd.csrd.uiuc.edu (12/15/89)

>Do all APL interpreters get written by people with very personal
>definitions of readability?

More often by those with very personal definitions for Format, File functions,
Matrix Divide, and Strand Notation (to name a few of the common motivators).
My interpreter source is tidy, but you need an editor with cross-reference
features to read it with the correct rhythm and inflection.

I have a question on a different subject:

Would anyone support modifying a Fortran 77 vectorizer to produce APL or APL2
(or even Dictionary APL) output?  Reply to jaxon@uicsrd.uiuc.edu (or here).