[comp.lang.apl] apl for suns?

johnson@gregsun.nrtc.northrop.com (Greg Johnson <gjohnson>) (01/20/90)

Is there an apl that has been ported to the Sun-4?  I have an old version
of the apl that comes with Berkeley Unix; it is the Reeves/Bruner apl.
I tried compiling it on my sun, and it compiled but would not run.  The
effort to port it looked a little daunting.  Has someone done the port?

Thanks - Greg Johnson

rjfrey@kepler1.UUCP (Robert J Frey) (01/21/90)

In article <5129@gremlin.nrtc.northrop.com> johnson@gregsun.nrtc.northrop.com (Greg Johnson <gjohnson>) writes:
>Is there an apl that has been ported to the Sun-4 ...

Dyadic Systems and STSC both have good second generation APL's (nested arrays
etc.) on the Sun 4.

	Dyadic's Dyalog APL:	MIP Software
				33493 W 14 Mile Rd
				Farmington Hills, MI 48018
				(313) 661-5000

				Dyadic Systems
				Park House, The High St.
				Alton Hampshire GU34 1EN UK 858811
				(011-44) 420-87024

	STSC's APL:		STSC
				2115 E Jefferson St.
				Rockville, MD 20852
				(301) 984-5117

I actually use Dyalog APL on both 386's and Sun 4's and recommend it highly.
I've used STSC's product on MS/DOS based machines and IBM mainframes and also
found them to be fine products.  One reason I chose to use Dyadic's product in
a UNIX environment is because it was specifically designed to work with that
operating system and is well integrated with it.  Both Dyadic and STSC have
DOS-based products, as well.
--
Dr. Robert J Frey, Kepler Financial Management, Ltd.
rjfrey@kepler1.uucp *or* frey@sbcs.sunysb.edu

ljdickey@water.waterloo.edu (L.J.Dickey) (01/21/90)

In article <5129@gremlin.nrtc.northrop.com> johnson@gregsun.nrtc.northrop.com (Greg Johnson <gjohnson>) writes:
>Is there an apl that has been ported to the Sun-4?  I have an old version
>of the apl that comes with Berkeley Unix; it is the Reeves/Bruner apl.
>I tried compiling it on my sun, and it compiled but would not run.  The
>effort to port it looked a little daunting.  Has someone done the port?
>
>Thanks - Greg Johnson

I have been told that one of the problems with this APL is byte order.
Someone who has done a lot of work to clean up the code is Ken Yap
<ken@rochester.uucp>.  Ken's stuff runs on the Sun, using the
APL fonts that he has also produced for the screens.

--
    L. J. Dickey, Faculty of Mathematics, University of Waterloo.
	ljdickey@water.UWaterloo.ca	ljdickey@water.BITNET

ken@cs.rochester.edu (Ken Yap) (01/22/90)

|I have been told that one of the problems with this APL is byte order.
|Someone who has done a lot of work to clean up the code is Ken Yap
|<ken@rochester.uucp>.  Ken's stuff runs on the Sun, using the
|APL fonts that he has also produced for the screens.

I expect I'll get another bunch of email asking how to get this.
I've got to stop this at the source...

What Dickey often neglects to mention is that this APL\11 is a piece of
AT&T code in the BSD distribution. It was originally written by Ken
Thompson. It is a bare-bones APL having none of the modern features.
And it has bugs too. I last ran it on SunOS 3.5. I have no idea what
needs to be done to run it under 4.0.  It has also been run on a Vax
(BSD 4.3) and a Pyramid.  The font thing is simply a screen font that
you can specify to your shelltool (SunView) or xterm (X11).

If you want this code, read this:

You have to mail or fax me the first and last pages of your Unix SOURCE
licence for V7 or later. Obviously you have to impose the same
redistribution condition.

You have to get it by ftp. Email only as a last resort; it's bulky.  No
tapes, diskettes or other physical media.

No, I cannot provide context diffs; the changes are too extensive.

No maintenance. You get the sources as is.