[comp.lang.apl] APL Compilers

jhatfiel@nmsu.edu (Joseph T. Hatfield) (03/09/90)

><hal@paladin.mitre.org> writes:

  >Is anyone aware of whats been done with APL compilers? Last I
  >hear no one had developed one. Has anything changed?

STSC built an APL compiler for mainframe APL users a few years ago (1986?). It
works very nicely and as far as I know has no restrictions on what APL
expressions can be compiled. I haven't heard of any APL compilers for
PCs or MINIs yet.

I suspect that any APL compiler is going to be VERY large and VERY
slow (using current state-of-the-art compiler technology) and so
impractical for small machines. Of course, now that we have the
16Mbyte 80486 machines, perhaps STSC will make the compiler available
for it.

Joseph T. Hatfield

P.S. I DO work for STSC (as a consultant) however I do not represent them.

rpandey@mist.cs.orst.edu (Rajeev Pandey) (03/14/90)

>ljdickey@water.waterloo.edu (L.J.Dickey) writes:

>>In article <100886@linus.UUCP> hal@paladin.mitre.org (Hal Feinstein) writes:
>>
>> Is anyone aware of whats been done with APL compilers?  Last I
>> heard no one had developed one.  Has anything changed?

> Tim Budd, previously of U Arizona and now of U. Oregon wrote a book
> on compilers (Springer Verlag) and at one time he was giving it away
> for the cost of the media.  The book was reviewed in APL Quote Quad.

Tim Budd, now of Oregon State University (*not* University of Oregon) wrote a
book:
		An APL Compiler
		Springer-Verlag, 1988
		ISBN 0-387-96643-9

The compiler sources are still available (with standard disclaimers that always
apply to research-grade software :-) via anonymous ftp from cs.orst.edu, in the
pub/budd subdirectory, I believe.

> IBM has, I am told, three different APL compiler projects.  Someone
> who knows about this is Aiden Falkoff.  I don't think they ever saw
> commercial release.

Some of the IBM APL compiler projects that I am aware of (with journal/book