[comp.lang.apl] Dictionary APL

johnson@heat.nrtc.northrop.com (Greg Johnson <gjohnson>) (03/12/90)

In article <3057@water.waterloo.edu> ljdickey@water.waterloo.edu (L.J.Dickey) writes:

>There are two commercial products...
>
>	SAX (Sharp APL for un*X)
>		Developed by I.P.Sharp Associates, Palo Alto.
>		The first "dictionary APL".

What is a "dictionary APL" ?

Thanks - Greg Johnson
Greg Johnson

dba@itcyyz.ipsa.reuter.com (David B. Allen) (03/13/90)

Dictionary APL refers to the advanced APL dialect based on Ken Iverson's
"APL Dictionary".  This dictionary was published in the ACM/SIGAPL APL
Quote Quad.  The other major advanced dialect is Jim Brown's APL2.

dd26+@andrew.cmu.edu (Douglas F. DeJulio) (03/13/90)

Dictionary APL and APL2 sound interesting.  I've only used what I've
heard refered to as "standard" APL.  Where can I (cheaply) get more
information on these two advanced dialects?  Are there public-domain
implementations of them available anywhere?
--
Doug.deJ

ljdickey@water.waterloo.edu (L.J.Dickey) (03/14/90)

In article <1990Mar12.182654.29061@itcyyz.ipsa.reuter.com> dba@itcyyz.UUCP (David B. Allen) writes:
>Dictionary APL refers to the advanced APL dialect based on Ken Iverson's
>"APL Dictionary".  This dictionary was published in the ACM/SIGAPL APL
>Quote Quad.  ...

A more precise reference is

	APL Quote Quad
	Volume 18 Issue 1
	September 1987
	Pages 5-40.
	ISSN-0163-6006

If your library does not have it, ask them to subscribe to it.

--
    Leroy J. Dickey, Faculty of Mathematics, University of Waterloo.
	ljdickey@water.UWaterloo.ca	ljdickey@water.BITNET