[comp.lang.apl] Dyalog APL vs APL*PLUS UNX

jph@suns.UMD.EDU (J. Patrick Harrington) (03/14/90)

    I am interested in a professional APL for a SUN workstation,
probably a Sparcstation 1. The choice seems to be between the
APL*PLUS UNX system and Dyalog APL. Has anyone run a comparison
of these two dialects? Both have nested arrays. How do they compare
in speed? Dyalog shows a benchmark comparison with APL*PLUS run on
a Compaq 386-16, where they beat APL*PLUS by a factor of 3. Is this
a valid test, and more important, what about times on SUN machines?
    These products are expensive, so I would be interested in comments
by anyone who has actually used these products on a SUN or comparable
workstation.

					     J. Patrick Harrington
					     jph@astro.umd.edu

rjfrey@kepler1.UUCP (Robert J Frey) (03/17/90)

In article <6251@umd5.umd.edu> jph@suns.UMD.EDU (J. Patrick Harrington) writes:

>    I am interested in a professional APL for a SUN workstation,
>probably a Sparcstation 1. The choice seems to be between the
>APL*PLUS UNX system and Dyalog APL. Has anyone run a comparison
>of these two dialects? ...

We have Dyalog APL running on a SUN Sparc and on 386's. I've used both Dyalog's
and STSC's UNIX-based products and I prefer Dyalog's. This is based,
however, less on speed benchmarks and more on how well integrated they are
into the UNIX environment, bundled software and special features such as
Dyalog's wonderful quadSM facility.

If anyone out there is interested in running some benchmarks, perhaps we could participate in a joint effort. We're having problems with mail, so respond to my faculty address: frey@chaos.sunysb.edu.

--
Dr. Robert J Frey, Kepler Financial Management, Ltd.
rjfrey@kepler1.uucp *or* frey@sbcs.sunysb.edu

stripes@eng.umd.edu (Joshua Osborne) (03/17/90)

In article <186@kepler1.UUCP> rjfrey@kepler1.UUCP (Robert J Frey) writes:
>In article <6251@umd5.umd.edu> jph@suns.UMD.EDU (J. Patrick Harrington) writes:
>We have Dyalog APL running on a SUN Sparc and on 386's. I've used both Dyalog's
>and STSC's UNIX-based products and I prefer Dyalog's. This is based,
>however, less on speed benchmarks and more on how well integrated they are
>into the UNIX environment, bundled software and special features such as
>Dyalog's wonderful quadSM facility.
What is quadSM?  Is it anything like IBM/STSC's quadNA?
--
           stripes@eng.umd.edu          "Security for Unix is like
      Josh_Osborne@Real_World,The          Mutitasking for MS-DOS"