[comp.lang.apl] APL for SunWorkstations ?

scott@tichy.HAC.COM (Scott Channell) (03/06/90)

Greetings, I have only posted to news a couple of times
so please forgive any improprieties.

I am in search of APL for use on a Sun Workstation (UNIX). Hopefully
this would be in the form of "shareware." If anyone could supply
me with information as to vendors/sources that I should check
I would be grateful.

    Thank you,
	Scott Channell

Hughes Aircraft Co.		voice:	(213) 616-1059
Image and Signal Processing Lab	smart:	scott@tcville.hac.com
PO Box 902, E53/E250		dumb:	scott%tcville@hac2arpa.hac.com
El Segundo, Ca. 90245		uucp:	hacgate!tcville!scott

ljdickey@water.waterloo.edu (L.J.Dickey) (03/07/90)

In article <334@tcville.HAC.COM> scott@tichy.UUCP (Scott Channell) writes:

>I am in search of APL for use on a Sun Workstation (UNIX). Hopefully
>this would be in the form of "shareware." If anyone could supply
>me with information as to vendors/sources that I should check
>I would be grateful.

There are two commercial products...

	SAX (Sharp APL for un*X)
		Developed by I.P.Sharp Associates, Palo Alto.
		The first "dictionary APL".

	STSC APL*PLUS/UNX
		Another APL product from STSC of Rockville, MD.
		Compatible with their famous APL*PLUS/PC.

There is also:

	APL\11  Revised by Ken Yap <ken@rochester.uucp> to run
		on the SUN.  UNIX license required.  Derived
		from product by Bruner & Reeves of Purdue,
		years ago.  Includes character set for SUN.

	A	This one is not for sale.  It was developed by
		Arthur Whitney at Morgan Stanley of New York.
		(Rumor: name changed to Z.)

	J	(Project title: J) Now under development by
		Ken Iverson and Roger Hui.  Scheduled for debut and
		free distribution at APL 90 in August.  Releases
		for IBM/PC, Atari ST, Mac II, ATT 3B1 are also
		expected.  J is very much in the spirit of SAX,
		and has a new, simpler dictionary.  It has an all
		ASCII character set.

--
    Leroy J. Dickey, Faculty of Mathematics, University of Waterloo.
	ljdickey@water.UWaterloo.ca	ljdickey@water.BITNET

hal@paladin.mitre.org (Hal Feinstein) (03/08/90)

Is anyone aware of whats been done with APL compilers?  Last I
heard no one had developed one.  Has anything changed?

                tnx   -hal

stripes@eng.umd.edu (Joshua Osborne) (03/09/90)

In article <100886@linus.UUCP> hal@paladin.mitre.org (Hal Feinstein) writes:

>Is anyone aware of whats been done with APL compilers?  Last I
>heard no one had developed one.  Has anything changed?
Both IBM and STSC have (at least) one.  The APL2 version handles just about all
of the "clasic APL" (i.e. no, or almost no APL2 enhancments).  STSC's is
probbly the same, but it just punts what it doesn't understand to the
interpreter...
I don't know much about the APL2 compiler.  I don't know much more then that
about the APL*PLUS one.  The APL*PLUS on only runs on IBM/370s.  It can make
use of performance hints given in comments (someting like like "int A[]" to
indicate that A is a vecrtor of integers...).

Disclaimer: I worked for STSC about 2+ years ago, and still have relitaves that
do...
--
           stripes@eng.umd.edu          "Security for Unix is like
      Josh_Osborne@Real_World,The          Mutitasking for MS-DOS"

ljdickey@water.waterloo.edu (L.J.Dickey) (03/09/90)

In article <100886@linus.UUCP> hal@paladin.mitre.org (Hal Feinstein) writes:

>Is anyone aware of whats been done with APL compilers?  Last I
>heard no one had developed one.  Has anything changed?

Tim Budd, previously of U Arizona and now of U. Oregon wrote a book
on compilers (Springer Verlag) and at one time he was giving it away
for the cost of the media.  The book was reviewed in APL Quote Quad.

STSC has a compiler done by Clark Weidemann.  This is not free.
It requires mainframe APL and an interpreter.  You can call compiled
code from an interpreted function, and vice versa.  It is intended
to provide great speedups to code in an interpreted context.  It does
not, (I think) create complete standalone, compiled modules.
I understand that this has been a great commercial success.

IBM has, I am told, three different APL compiler projects.  Someone
who knows about this is Aiden Falkoff.  I don't think they ever saw
commercial release.

--
    Leroy J. Dickey, Faculty of Mathematics, University of Waterloo.
	ljdickey@water.UWaterloo.ca	ljdickey@water.BITNET
	ljdickey@water.UUCP		..!uunet!watmath!water!ljdickey
	ljdickey@water.waterloo.edu

dondorp@ursula.fwi.uva.nl (Erwin Dondorp (I84)) (03/15/90)

I am writing a C-APL based on a yacc grammar(and a lex scanner of course!).
It works quite good now, although it cannot run programs yet.
The question is:
   How can I check my APL against a real APL, does anyone have a testset?

Erwin

ljdickey@water.waterloo.edu (L.J.Dickey) (03/16/90)

In article <528@fwi.uva.nl> dondorp@ursula.fwi.uva.nl (Erwin Dondorp (I84)) writes:

>I am writing a C-APL based on a yacc grammar(and a lex scanner of course!).
>It works quite good now, although it cannot run programs yet.
>The question is:
>   How can I check my APL against a real APL, does anyone have a testset?
>
>Erwin

I love this question.
I know of only one paper on the subject, written by K.Amer, and he
also developed a small test suite.  If you want to know more, please
write.
--
    Leroy J. Dickey, Faculty of Mathematics, University of Waterloo.
	ljdickey@water.UWaterloo.ca	ljdickey@water.BITNET
	ljdickey@water.UUCP		..!uunet!watmath!water!ljdickey
	ljdickey@water.waterloo.edu

jaxon@uicsrd.csrd.uiuc.edu (03/17/90)

I love the idea that APL fits into a yacc grammar.

I take it that your APL dialect is not APL2-like nor ISO conforming!

We constructed our test suite (at Unisys) by collecting every example
in our manuals and quite a few from other vendors manuals.  In keeping
with this I published a few real monster case examples in the Unisys APLB
manual.  In particular the page describing the interaction between Execute,
the Each operator, the )SIS and error displays, the result-returning
potential of the executed string, and whether the result of the execute is
required or not.

 (#IO is 1) rotate [ #IO is 0 ] 2 2 rho 'ABCD'

also raised some gray hairs.  I claim the result is 2 2 rho 'CDAB', the
axis qualifier being very tightly bound (before operands or arguments)
and being fully evaluated while still in an environment where #IO = 0.

dondorp@ursula.fwi.uva.nl (Erwin Dondorp (I84)) (03/19/90)

jaxon@uicsrd.csrd.uiuc.edu writes:
>I love the idea that APL fits into a yacc grammar.
>I take it that your APL dialect is not APL2-like nor ISO conforming!

C-APL (as it is called) is a yacc-based APL.
I have never seen a formal destcription of ISO-APL.
I also had only one encounter with a real APL, and not for longer than
about 30 minutes. Therefore C-APL's math operators are the same,
but everything else is weird.....
	Erwin.