[comp.lang.apl] APL for Sun?

darrell@terra.ucsc.edu (Darrell Long) (07/18/90)

Does anyone know of an version of APL for the Sun?  I used to know of PD
version written in FORTRAN for the VAX, but have lost track of it.

Any hints will be greatly appreciated.

DL

stripes@eng.umd.edu (Joshua Osborne) (07/19/90)

In article <5233@darkstar.ucsc.edu> darrell@terra.ucsc.edu, carroll@sdsu.edu writes:
>Does anyone know of an version of APL for the Sun?  I used to know of PD
>version written in FORTRAN for the VAX, but have lost track of it.
Both STSC and IP Sharp sell one.  STSC's address is:

STSC
2115 East Jefferson Ave
Rockville, MD   (I forget the Zip, sorry)

Disclaimer:  I haven't worked for STSC for at least 2 years.
I collect no money from them.
--
           stripes@eng.umd.edu          "Security for Unix is like
      Josh_Osborne@Real_World,The          Mutitasking for MS-DOS"

rjfrey@kepler.com (Robert J Frey) (07/19/90)

In article <1990Jul19.023059.21256@eng.umd.edu> stripes@eng.umd.edu (Joshua Osborne) writes:
>In article <5233@darkstar.ucsc.edu> darrell@terra.ucsc.edu, carroll@sdsu.edu writes:
>>Does anyone know of an version of APL for the Sun?
>Both STSC and IP Sharp sell one.  STSC's address is:...

I've used both STSC's and Sharp's APL's, both of which are excellent products;
however, I believe that Dyalog APL is superior to both of them:

Dyalog APL

Dyadic Systems
Park House, The High St.
Alton Hampshire GU34 1EN
U.K. 858811

Phone (from U.S.): (011-44) 420-87024

We've been using Dyalog for the past two years on 386's and Sun's.
--
Dr. Robert J Frey, Kepler Financial Management, Ltd.
rjfrey@kepler.com *or* frey@chaos.sunysb.edu

chrise@bcsaic.UUCP (Chris Esposito) (07/19/90)

In article <5233@darkstar.ucsc.edu> darrell@terra.ucsc.edu writes:
>Does anyone know of an version of APL for the Sun?  I used to know of PD

Check out the APL*PLUS system from STSC - it runs on Suns (and a few other
Unix boxes, but I don't recall exactly which ones).  I am quiet happy with it.

The contact info from the back of the manual is:

STSC, Inc.
2115 East Jefferson St.
Rockville, MD 20852

My acct rep is a woman named Anne Hultslander - 301-984-5462.  I don't have a
number for anyone else at STSC.

--
"A waist is a terrible thing to mind" - Dan Quayle at a Weight Watchers group
Chris Esposito                      | Internet: chrise@atc.boeing.com

paul@moore.com (Paul Maclauchlan) (07/20/90)

In article <5233@darkstar.ucsc.edu>, darrell@terra.ucsc.edu (Darrell Long) writes:
> Does anyone know of an version of APL for the Sun?  I used to know of PD
> version written in FORTRAN for the VAX, but have lost track of it.

We use STSC's APL for UNIX on our Sun SPARCsystems (SS1's and 370).  It is
our prime development environment.  Performance is great.

It would be REALLY nice if they could integrate features of the Sunview
environment (mouse, cut and paste, resizable windows, etc) and release
a version that really works with OpenWindows.

--
.../Paul Maclauchlan
Moore Corporation Limited, Toronto, Ontario (416) 364-2600

Edward_M_Cherlin@cup.portal.com (07/22/90)

My group, I-APL, is working on an APL for Suns. We will distribute source
code. There are also commercial APLs for Suns from STSC and Dyadic.
Morgan-Stanley has a proprietary APL running 2G workspaces on Sun 4s.
Ken Iverson plans to distribute a new APL dialect called J at APL90 in
August. PC and Mac versions will be first, and Sun should follow. Contact
Iverson Software, Inc., 416/925-6096. They use IPSAnet's APL Mailbox and
are not on here. J is free for copying, is written in C, and uses ASCII
only.  Here is one example.
      i. 2 3
0 1 2
3 4 5