[comp.lang.apl] Postscript APL font

pmeese@shearson.com (Philip Meese) (07/27/90)

OK APL'ers: try this:

I am using STSC's APL on the Sun (and quite happy with it)
but I need to create hard copy function listings. STSC sez that
they have no method for doing this on a postscript printer.

After reviewing my Abdobe "Blue Book", it is obvious to me that one
could create an APL postscript font for this purpose with relative
ease althought it would take a lot of work.

The question is: Has anyone already created a Postscript APL font
that they would be willing to share ??

Please respond to me directly, thanks. I'll be happy (of course)
to summarize responses should others express interest.
--
Philip David Meese
-----------------------------|--------------------

stripes@eng.umd.edu (Joshua Osborne) (07/27/90)

In article <1990Jul26.171513.6428@shearson.com> pmeese@shearson.com (Philip Meese) writes:
>OK APL'ers: try this:
>
>I am using STSC's APL on the Sun (and quite happy with it)
>but I need to create hard copy function listings. STSC sez that
>they have no method for doing this on a postscript printer.

Then whoever you talked to is wrong.  They have a way of doing it on the
Mac.  They even have a Mac PostScript font that they designed (prob. at
great expense given how long I had to read pre-release APL*PLUS/Mac
documantion with the stuff written in APLFont sticking out like a sore
thumb, then one day [shortly after I fond out that we *were* working on a
PS font] I started seeing nice looking stuff written in Armonk (a APL
type face, see below).  which graduly got nicer until we shiped the release
then work on it (and basicly APL on the Mac, 'tho they may well have started up
again; they have *lot's* of Mac's now, used for DTP'ing manuals for other
software)]).

>After reviewing my Abdobe "Blue Book", it is obvious to me that one
>could create an APL postscript font for this purpose with relative
>ease althought it would take a lot of work.

It has been done, and last I know it was being give to anyone who owned
any APL*PLUS (i.e. any STSC APL), and *was* given to someone running on
a Sun.  Now the font is *not* in *any* APL*PLUS's Quad-AV order (why
would they do such a silly thing?  Well it was ordered so it could be used
in MacWrite and MS-Word for writing documantion, the places it had to go to
fit the "standard" APL keyboard placement [not the super-cool Unifyed] was
radicly diffrent from all QuadAV's, bummer).  There is no software avail for
printing with   this font.  Call STSC   back up and   tell them   all this
and that you can live with it, and you understand that the HotLine (do they
still call it that?) has no obligation to support it, and that you swear never
to even mention it to them again (as long as it arives and can be read off
the media), and you won't give it to anyone who doesn't own any STSC products
unless STSC says that's Ok, and that if they don't give you the font named
"Armonk" (pronounced "Are-Monk", look at the city name on the back of most
IBM products, incl all 3270 capable terminals I have ever seen for the proper
spelling, I prob. got it wrong) which *has* to exist because they most
definitly use it to produce the really nice loking docs that all say they
were done on a LaserWriter (and may even mention the name of the font, you
may wanna look at the first & last few pages).  If after you tell them that
they refuse to send you the font (even if you SASE your own 3.5" Mac disk),
switch to attack mode.  You will attempt to return their product.  You will
tell everyone you know who uses APL not to buy STSC's APL because they
are disks.  You will put it on a place that has a confirmed readership of
<insert arbatrion number fo c.l.apl here>, a estimated readership of <insert
arbatrion number for c.l.apl here>, and a max readership of over 2Million,
all former potental customers.  All because of one silly little mastake.

If you think you will have to get nasty please don't use my name, some
people I like work there & they might get mad at me...

Also if the call doesn't work let me know, I will see if I can (legaly)
attain it from someone I know.

>The question is: Has anyone already created a Postscript APL font
>that they would be willing to share ??

Last I checked STSC had.

Sorry I rambled on so & had so many conjunctions & so many levels of nested
parens!  (this is APL, not LISP!)

Disclaimer: I havn't worked at STSC for years, I am unlikely to do so for
years.  STSC still employs people I like, if they don't give you the font
don't lie to people who want to buy from them, tell them what happened &
let them decide.  As normal for people who work for, or worked for <foo>
my opinions may be biased, pleas ask someone else for some too (I don't
think that applyes).  In case STSC trys to sue UofM (where I am posting from,
but I doubt they will sue anyone): I do not speak for the University of
Maryland's Collage Park Campus nor any other UM campus.  I do not speak for
any department, collage or group of people at the UofM, in particular I do not
speak for the Collage of Engineering (whose computer I am using to post), or
for the Department of Eletrical Engineering.  If this part staves off legal
responsibleity: I do not speak for myself, I speak only for the BORG who
have taken over my mind and cause me to perform possably illegal acts agenst
my knolage and will, I require medical treatment, not incarceration.

(Well, hay it's worth a shot!)
--
           stripes@eng.umd.edu          "Security for Unix is like
      Josh_Osborne@Real_World,The          Mutitasking for MS-DOS"

sam@ss_csi.jpl.nasa.gov (Sam Sirlin) (07/28/90)

In article <1990Jul26.171513.6428@shearson.com> pmeese@shearson.com (Philip Meese) writes:
>OK APL'ers: try this:
>
>I am using STSC's APL on the Sun (and quite happy with it)
>but I need to create hard copy function listings. STSC sez that
>they have no method for doing this on a postscript printer.

An APL font for TeX exists and is freely available. I got the metafont
definition, the original tugboat article, and various .tex files from
power.eee.ndsu.nodak.edu (134.129.123.1), ftp anonymous login. You use
the metafont to produce fonts in whatever size you want. This allows
APL on just about any (laser) printer, not just postscript printers.

Sam Sirlin
sam@jpl-gnc-gw.jpl.nasa.gov

Sam Sirlin
Jet Propulsion Laboratory
sam@csi.jpl.nasa.gov
sam@kalessin.jpl.nasa.gov

mjab@pozzo.think.com (Michael J. A. Berry) (07/31/90)

In article <1990Jul26.171513.6428@shearson.com> pmeese@shearson.com (Philip Meese) writes:

Users of the unix version of Sharp APL get a very nice APL postscript font
(very nice in the APL characters that is, I don't like the "standard"
characters which are italic).  This font says it is copyright Joey K.
Tuttle. I don't know how he feels about sharing it, but last I heard, Joey
Tuttle worked for Reuters in Palo Alto so you might be able to ask him.

-Michael

Michael J. A. Berry

Internet:  mjab@think.com
uucp:      {harvard, uunet}!think!mjab
telephone: (617) 876-1111

stripes@eng.umd.edu (Joshua Osborne) (07/31/90)

In article <1990Jul27.035207.20289@eng.umd.edu> I wrote:

[Flameish message deleted]

I would like to apoligise for that message, it was uncalled for.  Anything
that I ask people not to attach my name to should not be posted to USEnet.

When I left STSC the support people were trying really really hard to be a
world-class support staff.  There is no reason for me to assume anything is
diffrent now that I am gone (after all I wasn't a manager or anything).
Whatever happened there was most likely some sort of mastake or oversight.
Not malice.

Oh, and for the record nobody (at STSC, or anyplace else) asked me to post
this (or even suggested that I do so).  I am doing this because I treated
them wrongly and they deserve better.
--
           stripes@eng.umd.edu          "Security for Unix is like
      Josh_Osborne@Real_World,The          Mutitasking for MS-DOS"
      "The dyslexic porgramer"                  - Kevin Lockwood
"Don't try to change C into some nice, safe, portable programming language
 with all sharp edges removed, pick another language."  - John Limpert

r_pandy@rpandy.Eng.Sun.COM (Rajev Pandy) (08/01/90)

 Also available as far as APL Postscript fonts go are the METAFONT ones
 designed by Hohti and Kanerva (described in an ACM APL Quote Quad article
 a year or two ago). The fonts are available via anonymous ftp from
 sun.soe.clarkson.edu,  I believe. Several people I contacted couldn't
 get METAFONT to run on them, however. If that is a  problem, I can supply
 the necessary .pk/.pxl etc. files......

 (I'm writing my MS thesis using LaTeX and need APL characters, so I use
  these fonts and dvi2ps to get the desired result.)

Rajeev Pandey                              | Mail Stop 5-44
  Internet: r_pandy@rpandy.Eng.Sun.COM     | Sun Microsystems, Inc.
                                           | 2550 Garcia Avenue
  Phone: (415) 336-4891                    | Mountain View, CA  94043-1100
                After September 15th, I'll be back at:
Rajeev Pandey                              | Department of Computer Science
  Internet: rpandey@cs.orst.edu            | Computer Science Building 100
  UUCP: hp-pcd!orstcs!rpandey              | Oregon State University
  Phone:(503) 737-3273  Fax:(503) 737-3014 | Corvallis, OR  97331-3902  U.S.A.