[comp.lang.apl] J for the NeXT

dwatola@NEXTASY2.EECS.WSU.EDU (David Watola) (09/21/90)

Remember a month or so ago when the first posting referring to the
availability of J was made?  There was a reference to a version for the
NeXT.  What happened to this?  Is is freely available like the Mac
version?  (I didn't happen to see it at the only site I know of for the Mac).

Can anyone point the way to this piece of software?  I plan to buy a NeXT in
the upcoming month.

Thanks.

dave watola, washington state university, pullman, hell.

dwatola@eecs.wsu.edu
dwatola@nextasy2.eecs.wsu.edu

jejones@mcrware.UUCP (James Jones) (09/21/90)

In article <9009201910.AA14816@nextasy2.eecs.wsu.edu> dwatola@NEXTASY2.EECS.WSU.EDU (David Watola) writes:
>Can anyone point the way to [J for the [Nn][Ee][Xx][Tt]]?  I plan to buy a

When J is referred to as "freely available," does this mean that someone is
releasing freely-available executables for various machines, or does it mean
the source code is available?

	James Jones (curious about J from a comp.lang.misc posting, but using
	systems that it's not clear anyone in the generic PClone/Mac world
	would bother to port J to)

ljdickey@water.waterloo.edu (L.J.Dickey) (09/24/90)

In article <2982@mcrware.UUCP> jejones@mcrware.UUCP (James Jones) writes:
>In article <9009201910.AA14816@nextasy2.eecs.wsu.edu> dwatola@NEXTASY2.EECS.WSU.EDU (David Watola) writes:

>When J is referred to as "freely available," does this mean that someone is
>releasing freely-available executables for various machines,

yes.

>or does it mean the source code is available?

no

Already executables are available at "watserv1.waterloo.edu" for anonymous
ftp.  Today you can have executables for PC and Mac this way.   Soon
you should find others in the same area, representing systems at Waterloo
with people and machines that are interested in J.  We expect to have
VAX BSD, NeXT, and MIPS versions before the end of the week.  Maybe
we will have more.