[comp.lang.apl] First Impressions of J

BAKERJ@QUCDN.QueensU.CA (10/16/90)

In the last week I have been experimenting with J version 2.3
from Iverson Software.  So far I am impressed.  J is remarkably
complete (the documentation indicates what remains to be done).
implementation of "pure" rationalized APL.

A few brief observations.

     1)  It's amazing how fast you get used to the use of ASCII.
         J's ASCII symbols are well chosen.  The language has
         has a nice look to it and it's easiar to type and
         print than convential APL. I appreciate
         the APL character set but languages like J and Nial
         have convinced me that it is not necessary.

     2)  As a language J rigorously implements the extended
         Iverson notation first discussed in Rationalized
         APL back in the early 80's.  J has taken a number
         of much needed steps.  Standard line number based
         function definition has been thankfully trashed.
         Syntactic constructs that don't fit into the
         rational scheme (ie index brackets) have been
         eliminated. Verbs (functions) in old Sharp APL that had
         inappropriate function ranks have been fixed.
         Many new verbs, adverbs and conjunctions have
         been added.  J is certainly powerful.  It's well beyond old
         pre-nested array APL's.  It's in the same class as
         APL2 and Nial.

     4)  The ISI interpreter written by Roger Hui has not
         implemented workspaces.  He has adapted an ASCII
         script scheme that is certainly sufficient for
         for demonsration software. I've been impressed
         with the performance of the interpreter and it's
         scope.  This is the only $24.00 package I now of
         that computes complex matrix inverses.

     5)  Overall ISI's J is an amazing bargin.  For $24.00
         you get the J interpreter.  Iverson's paper (ISI J Dictionary),
         and a little booklet called -- Tangible Math.
         I have a feeling that J is going to attract
         a lot of interest within and,  to a lesser degree,
         outside of the APL world.   Who knows it may even
         revitialize this inbreed little corner of computerdom.

                                    John Baker

kevin@argosy.UUCP (Kevin S. Van Horn) (10/17/90)

In article <90289.112513BAKERJ@QUCDN.QueensU.CA> BAKERJ@QUCDN.QueensU.CA writes:

>In the last week I have been experimenting with J version 2.3
>from Iverson Software.  So far I am impressed. ...
>
>     5)  Overall ISI's J is an amazing bargin.  For $24.00
>         you get the J interpreter.  Iverson's paper (ISI J Dictionary),
>         and a little booklet called -- Tangible Math.

What machines does ISI's J run on?  And what is their address so I can
send for it?

Kevin S. Van Horn        | The means determine the ends.
kevin@argosy.maspar.com  |

eli@diogenes.gang.umass.edu (Eli Brandt) (11/01/90)

In article <90289.112513BAKERJ@QUCDN.QueensU.CA> BAKERJ@QUCDN.QueensU.CA writes:

>In the last week I have been experimenting with J version 2.3
>from Iverson Software.  So far I am impressed.  J is remarkably
>complete (the documentation indicates what remains to be done).
>implementation of "pure" rationalized APL.
>
>A few brief observations.

 [observations 1-4 culled]

I have been playing around with the publicly-available PC J, and I've
found it quite interesting.  Unfortunately, there is virtually no
documentation, so I have not yet figured out how to, say, define a
function :-).  Performance on various matrix juggling seems surprisingly
good.  One question: are the features "not yet available" likely to
be so soon, and if so, how much will we have to pay for them?

>     5)  Overall ISI's J is an amazing bargin.  For $24.00
>         you get the J interpreter.  Iverson's paper (ISI J Dictionary),
>         and a little booklet called -- Tangible Math.
>         I have a feeling that J is going to attract
>         a lot of interest within and,  to a lesser degree,
>         outside of the APL world.   Who knows it may even
>         revitialize this inbreed little corner of computerdom.
>

>                                    John Baker

I figure I'll just shell out the 24 dollars and take my chances.  Looks
like a pretty good deal.  Nice job, ISI, and thanks for breaking from
STSC's pricing scheme.

Eli

jmaynard@thesis1.hsch.utexas.edu (Jay Maynard) (11/01/90)

So how do us mere mortals get a copy of this wonderful APL interpreter for $24?

--
Jay Maynard, EMT-P, K5ZC, PP-ASEL | Never ascribe to malice that which can
jmaynard@thesis1.hsch.utexas.edu  | adequately be explained by stupidity.

mjab@nanna.think.com (Michael J. A. Berry) (11/02/90)

   From: jmaynard@thesis1.hsch.utexas.edu (Jay Maynard)
   Newsgroups: comp.lang.apl
   Date: 31 Oct 90 23:11:26 GMT
   Sender: usenet@lib.tmc.edu

   So how do us mere mortals get a copy of this wonderful APL interpreter for $24?

Iverson Software Inc.
33 Major Street
Toronto, Ontario M5S 2K9

or

anonymous FTP from watserv1.waterloo.edu in directory languages/apl/J

I got my mac version (and documentation) by sending a check to Toronto
and my Sun version by FTP from Waterloo. I have put in less than an hour so
far (all on the Sun version since I have one on my desk).  It is a lot of
fun! I have found one bug so far.

Michael J. A. Berry

Internet:  mjab@think.com
uucp:      {harvard, uunet}!think!mjab