[comp.lang.apl] Outer Product

elliott.chapin@canremote.uucp (ELLIOTT CHAPIN) (07/23/90)

I have figured out a way to extend the outer product to any
binary function.  Is this old hat?

Elliott Chapin
---

dondorp@fwi.uva.nl (Erwin Dondorp (I84)) (07/30/90)

elliott.chapin@canremote.uucp (ELLIOTT CHAPIN) writes:
>I have figured out a way to extend the outer product to any
>binary function.  Is this old hat?

Don't know but, all the books that I've seen (at least 3) and all the
APL's I've seen (Including the one I wrote myself) do have the outer
product extended to any binary function. I think it is even in the
standard.
	Erwin

dd26+@andrew.cmu.edu (Douglas F. DeJulio) (07/30/90)

elliott.chapin@canremote.uucp (ELLIOTT CHAPIN) writes:
> I have figured out a way to extend the outer product to any binary
> function.  Is this old hat?

Do you mean including user-defined diadic functions?

stripes@eng.umd.edu (Joshua Osborne) (07/31/90)

In article <16bc25c18b1226ab2c5c@canremote.uucp> elliott.chapin@canremote.uucp (ELLIOTT CHAPIN) writes:
>I have figured out a way to extend the outer product to any
>binary function.  Is this old hat?

Some versions of APL aready do.  I think APL2 lets you use any dyadic function,
including user defined ones.  Some APL*PLUS systems let you use any system
defined dyadic function, but as of 2 years ago no user defined functions could
be combined with operaters.  Bummer.
--
           stripes@eng.umd.edu          "Security for Unix is like
      Josh_Osborne@Real_World,The          Mutitasking for MS-DOS"

adam@ste.dyn.bae.co.uk (Adam Curtin) (08/01/90)

In article <1990Jul30.202542.16254@eng.umd.edu> stripes@eng.umd.edu (Joshua Osborne) writes:
>In article <16bc25c18b1226ab2c5c@canremote.uucp> elliott.chapin@canremote.uucp (ELLIOTT CHAPIN) writes:
>>I have figured out a way to extend the outer product to any
>>binary function.  Is this old hat?
>
>Some versions of APL aready do.  I think APL2 lets you use any dyadic function,
>including user defined ones.

It's old hat. In Dyalog APL, a defined function is not distinguished from a
primitive function or a derived function (built from other functions using the
compose operator). Dyalog also has _external_ functions (gateways to APs) which
also have full rights. This technology circa 1982. Recently, Dyadic has added
defined _operators_, which are syntactically equivalent to primitive operators
and truly boggle the mind.

Adam.
--
A. D. Curtin				Tel  : +44 438 753430
British Aerospace (Dynamics) Ltd.	Fax  : +44 438 753377

elliott.chapin@canremote.uucp (ELLIOTT CHAPIN) (11/02/90)

Thsi is a repeat in case an earlier attempt did not get posted
properly:

Some months ago I mentioned here that I had worked out a way to
extend the outer product to any dyadic function.  The possibly
significant detail that I forgot was that would work in any APL
system.  Comments?  Requests? ....

Elliott Chapin
---