[comp.lang.apl] Where you can order J from

<BAKERJ@QUCDN.QueensU.CA> (10/17/90)

First of all I would like to thank all those that
responded to my note about J.  It's nice to know
that real people exist at the end of these message
networks.

As many people pointed out I forgot to post a
'pointer' to J.  For those interested you can
order the J package from:

		Iverson Software Inc.
		33 Major Street
		Toronto, Ontario
		Canada M5S 2K9
		(416) 925-6096

The read.me files that come with the J package lists the
machines they intend to port the package to.  I know
the DOS and Macintosh versions are ready now.  For any
other machines on this list I'd suggest getting in
touch with ISI directly:

		J Machines

 AT&T 3B1,Macintosh,IBM PC family
 IBM RISC/6000,MIPS R3000,NeXT
 Philips P9070,Sun 3, Sun 386i
	Sun 4 (SPARC)

				John Baker

ljdickey@water.waterloo.edu (L.J.Dickey) (10/23/90)

In an article <BAKERJ@QUCDN.QueensU.CA> writes:

>   For those interested you can
>order the J package from:
>
>		Iverson Software Inc.
>		33 Major Street
>		Toronto, Ontario
>		Canada M5S 2K9
>		(416) 925-6096

Several implementation of J, version 2.5, are available from
The University of Waterloo, via anonymous ftp, from the
server "watserv1.waterloo.edu" (also known as 129.97.129.140).
In the directory "languages/apl/J", ftp users may find J for these systems:

	vax_bsd 4.3
	next
	sun4 (SPARC)
	sun386i
	mac
	pc
	atari_st

Among other APL software there, there are two fonts (or folios). One,
called "APL2741", is a postscript line font, derived from scanned images
from an ancient 2741 golfball terminal equiped with an APL typing
element.  The other is an X-windows font.

It is hoped that eventually there will be a mail server for the same
range of software to those who have e-mail access but not ftp access,
but a userid for this mail service has not been announced yet.

Currently, this service is being provided on an experimental basis, and
there are no promises that it will continue on a long term basis.  Nor
is there any warantee of serviceability or completeness of the software
distributed there.

pattis@cs.washington.edu (Richard Pattis) (10/23/90)

When I called, they gave me the following US mail address; the package is
$24.00 (which includes postage, handling, etc.)

  3512 Cameron Mills Rd
  Alexandria VA  22305

Rich Pattis

bdcrafton@dahlia.uwaterloo.ca (Brad Crafton) (11/02/90)

In article <1990Oct22.220757.28078@water.waterloo.edu> ljdickey@water.waterloo.edu (L.J.Dickey) writes:

>Several implementation of J, version 2.5, are available from
>The University of Waterloo, via anonymous ftp, from the
>server "watserv1.waterloo.edu" (also known as 129.97.129.140).
>In the directory "languages/apl/J", ftp users may find J for these systems:
>
>	vax_bsd 4.3
>	next
>	sun4 (SPARC)
>	sun386i
>	mac
>	pc
>	atari_st

Do you know if there are any plans on porting J to the Amiga?

mark@11srus.enet.dec.com (Mark Eklof) (11/07/90)

In article <1990Nov2.023131.11969@watdragon.waterloo.edu>,
bdcrafton@dahlia.uwaterloo.ca (Brad Crafton) writes:
|> Do you know if there are any plans on porting J to the Amiga?

     Yes, according to Roger Hui, an Amiga port is planned, but not
yet ready.

Mark Eklof

shenkin@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu (Peter S. Shenkin) (11/07/90)

>In article <1990Nov2.023131.11969@watdragon.waterloo.edu>,
>bdcrafton@dahlia.uwaterloo.ca (Brad Crafton) writes:
>|> Do you know if there are any plans on porting J to the Amiga?

I'm a new subscriber to this group;  I used to use APL years ago, and have
come in in the middle of the discussion of J.  I do realize that Iverson
can answer all my questions, but being lazy, let me post to this group
instead.  Can some kind soul either post or mail me a brief description of
what J is, and how it relates to APL?

Thanks,
	-P.
Peter S. Shenkin, Department of Chemistry, Barnard College, New York, NY  10027
(212)854-1418  shenkin@cunixc.cc.columbia.edu(Internet)  shenkin@cunixc(Bitnet)
***"In scenic New York... where the third world is only a subway ride away."***