[comp.lang.apl] APL for exploratory data analysis

sdl@linus.mitre.org (Steven D. Litvinchouk) (11/22/90)

I was wondering if anyone could point me to any sources of information
and experience, in using APL for exploratory data analysis.  What I
mean by that is analyzing multivariate data (including, but not
limited to, time series data), when the trends and models that may be
present in the data are unknown; the goal is to discover those trends
and models.  Also, if there are any APL toolkits for doing this (e.g.
scatterplot brushing), I would like to know that too.

Also, I had heard that there had been work on developing
object-oriented extensions to APL.  Can anyone provide me with any
pointers to that work?

Thanx in advance!

Steven Litvintchouk
MITRE Corporation
Burlington Road
Bedford, MA  01730
(617)271-7753
ARPA:  sdl@mbunix.mitre.org
UUCP:  ...{att,decvax,genrad,necntc,ll-xn,philabs,utzoo}!linus!sdl
	"Where does he get those wonderful toys?"
--

rdnelson@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Roger D Nelson) (11/23/90)

In article <SDL.90Nov21172049@lyra.linus.mitre.org> sdl@linus.mitre.org (Steven D. Litvinchouk) writes:

>I was wondering if anyone could point me to any sources of information
>and experience, in using APL for exploratory data analysis.  What I
>mean by that is analyzing multivariate data (including, but not
>limited to, time series data), when the trends and models that may be
>present in the data are unknown; the goal is to discover those trends
>and models.  Also, if there are any APL toolkits for doing this (e.g.
>scatterplot brushing), I would like to know that too.

STSC sells STATGRAPHICS, an APL based statistical and graphic analysis
package.  It is necessary (in my opinion) to run it within their APL
program, although STATGRAPHICS is standalone, in order to have access
to APL for flexibility in exploratory data analysis.  I use the
package regularly for some of the purposes you mention, and find it
satisfactory.  While not as broad as SAS or BMDP it does have
multivariate regression, including some nonlinear fitting capability
(you supply the algorithm or a reasonable guess), good time series
functions, some categorical analysis, many distribution functions, and
virtually all canonical statistics, plus well integrated graphics.  I
don't have any connection with the company, and indeed find them
frustrating, but I do get a lot of work done using STATGRAPHICS.

Roger Nelson    rdnelson@phoenix.princeton.edu