[comp.lang.apl] Public Domain APL for PC's

russur@convex.com (Russ Urquhart) (02/12/91)

I am looking for information on a good implementation of APL for the PC. Ideally it would be nice if it were fairly functional as well as low cost. I realize that you get what you pay for, and am willing, but wanted to get some suggestions. Thanks in advance for any help!

Russ Urquhart
Convex Computers

dean@gacvx2.gac.edu (02/12/91)

In article <russur.666319109@convex.convex.com>, russur@convex.com (Russ Urquhart) writes:
> I am looking for information on a good implementation of APL for the PC. Ideally it would be nice if it were fairly functional as well as low cost. I realize that you get what you pay for, and am willing, but wanted to get some suggestions. Thanks in advance for any help!
>

> Russ Urquhart
> Convex Computers
Try SAPL from I.P Sharp and Assoc.  It is NOT public domain but is apparently
shareware.  It is an excellent implementation of APL being a commercial product
that they released as shareware.  I bought the license for about 80 bucks.

Alternatively you might check out IAPL111 or RATAPL.  I believe that both are
available from wuarchive.wustl.edu or simtel.  I don't know their status
(public domain/shareware/whatever-ware).  I THINK that SAPL is also available
from these net sites.

dean@gac.edu

ljdickey@watmath.waterloo.edu (L.J.Dickey) (02/15/91)

In article <1991Feb12.093916.86@gacvx2.gac.edu> dean@gacvx2.gac.edu writes:
>In article <russur.666319109@convex.convex.com>, russur@convex.com (Russ Urquhart) writes:
>> I am looking for information on a good implementation of APL for the PC.
>> Ideally it would be nice if it were fairly functional as well as low cost.
>> I realize that you get what you pay for, and am willing, but wanted to get
>> some suggestions. Thanks in advance for any help!
>>
>Try SAPL from I.P Sharp and Assoc.  It is NOT public domain but is apparently
>shareware.  It is an excellent implementation of APL being a commercial product
>that they released as shareware.  I bought the license for about 80 bucks.
>
>Alternatively you might check out IAPL111 or RATAPL.  I believe that both are
>available from wuarchive.wustl.edu or simtel.  I don't know their status
>(public domain/shareware/whatever-ware).  I THINK that SAPL is also available
>from these net sites.

And, of course, there is J.  It is available by anonymous ftp
from
	watserv1.waterloo.edu
	watserv1.UWaterloo.CA

dave@visual1.jhuapl.edu (Dave Weintraub) (02/15/91)

(As I posted privately):

TRYAPL2 is available from IBM, for free.

hui@yrloc.ipsa.reuter.COM (Roger Hui) (02/15/91)

Iverson Software Inc. offers two shareware products for the PC:
Sharp APL/PC is an ISO APL Standard conforming APL.  It is a mature
product with many years of debugging/development and customer use.
Costs $60.  J is a new APL dialect which includes current ideas on
APL language design from K.E. Iverson and colleagues. Uses standard
ASCII keyboards and displays. Costs $24.  J is also available on
bulletin boards and FTP sites.

TryAPL2 is a low-cost (free?) APL2 offering by IBM.

I-APL is an ISO APL Standard conforming APL offered by I-APL Ltd.,
2 Blenheim Road, St. Albans, England, AL1 4NR. Costs $22.

Roger Hui
Iverson Software Inc.
33 Major Street
Toronto, Ontario  M5S 2K9
(416) 925 6096

dean@gacvx2.gac.edu (02/15/91)

In article <1991Feb14.183222.6086@aplcen.apl.jhu.edu>, dave@visual1.jhuapl.edu (Dave Weintraub) writes:
> (As I posted privately):
>
> TRYAPL2 is available from IBM, for free.

I guess I missed your post.  How does one pick up TRYAPL2 from IBM for free?

dean

jhlieske@phoenix.princeton.edu (02/16/91)

Is there a PD/Shareware/cheap commercial version of APL for the Macintosh?