[comp.lang.apl] HELP! Gunched workspace

wright@cattell.psych.upenn.edu (Ron Wright) (02/18/91)

I am working in STSC's APL*PLUS/PC and have a large database with
a set of programs to access it.  Before transferring my hard disk
to my new system I was VERY careful and backed it up twice:
Unfortunately, I used all the old backup disks and now I have a
corrupted workspace on the disk and both backups.

The file is still about the size I remember it -- some 225K --
and it opens fine, but with maybe 10% of the variables.  I tried
copying it into a clear workspace and got back perhaps another
15%.  I have spoken with STSC and they say their consultants are
willing to look at it, but can make no promises and want $250 up
front.

Can anyone help me with this?  Either by telling me what to do or
read, or by doing something for me (for which I'd be willing to
pay some, but I don't have much money)?  I'm not faint hearted
when it comes to hex editors, but looking at even a small
workspace I created with 2 functions seemed to have the functions
stored in some complex way that I couldn't decipher.

Rebuilding all these functions would be a major hassle (though
the DATA are save: multiple, off-site backups).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ron.

Ron Wright			          wright@cattell.psych.upenn.edu
3815 Walnut St.					     Voice: 215/472-5957
Philadelphia, PA 19104-6196			       FAX: 215/898-7301

sam@kalessin.jpl.nasa.gov (Sam Sirlin) (02/19/91)

In article <37764@netnews.upenn.edu>, wright@cattell.psych.upenn.edu (Ron Wright) writes:
|> I am working in STSC's APL*PLUS/PC and have a large database with...
|> Unfortunately, I used all the old backup disks and now I have a
|> corrupted workspace on the disk and both backups.
|> Can anyone help me with this?  ...

I'd recomend bringing up the problem on BBS\APL, Dick Holt's APL bulletin
board at (301) 384-3672, 1200/2400 baud (DC area). To use it Dick requests a
$30 donation. It's a source of various APL sw and help on various things.
Most of the people using it use STSC's APL/PC on IBM clones. I know that at
least Dick has some knowledge of STSC's storage format, as he can unlock
functions.

--
Sam Sirlin
Jet Propulsion Laboratory         sam@kalessin.jpl.nasa.gov

ljdickey@watmath.waterloo.edu (L.J.Dickey) (02/19/91)

In article <1991Feb18.193731.26862@jato.jpl.nasa.gov> sam@kalessin.jpl.nasa.gov (Sam Sirlin) writes:
>In article <37764@netnews.upenn.edu>, wright@cattell.psych.upenn.edu (Ron Wright) writes:
>|> I am working in STSC's APL*PLUS/PC and have a large database with...
>|> Unfortunately, I used all the old backup disks and now I have a
>|> corrupted workspace on the disk and both backups.
>|> Can anyone help me with this?  ...

I once had a "Gunched" workspace, but fortunately still some things
worked.  I did something along these lines:

	Quad-open
	Quad-write Quad-CR 'fun'
	Quad-close

Then I went to an uncorrupted ws, and did something along these lines:

	Quad-open
	Quad-FX Quad-read 'fun'
	Quad-close

I did not get everything back, but I got most.
It was a pain, but it was better than re-typing all the functions.