[comp.lang.apl] <None>

sam@kalessin.Jpl.nasa.gov (Sam Sirlin) (10/17/90)

 GMT
Subject: Re: Budd compiler fails
Here's the state of my knowledge of aplc. I got it mostly running, and
will sporadically work on it to fix problems. I know of one other person
doing work on it currently, but the more the merrier! I'm willing to send
out copies of my version of the code to those who want it, but note that
it's quite buggy, and not guaranteed to be of any use at all.

aplc status, sws 10/90

bug fixes to aplc:

1. missing semicolon fixed in ptree.c
   (not sure exactly where)

2. check for null string name in looksym in psym.c

struct symnode *table;
{
/* sws...*/
        if (name=='\0')
	  {
            return(0);
	  }
/* sws...*/

3. change loop checking in pass.c
      for (i = 1; i < argc; i++)

current state:

SUN (sparc, 4.0.3)
 produces code, but the code fails for ulam with argument >6
 bus error, in valloc, runmem.c
 -- sun compiler error?

MIPS
 the code runs fine so far

Changes to allow distribution to non-Unix machines (bbs\apl) - don't
think anyone has a working version yet.

mv lex.yy.c lex_yy.c
mv y.tab.c y_tab.c
mv y.tab.h y_tab.h
(Makefile)

Current program bugs in aplc that I know of:

looping:
    A bug in reduce for scalars causes the idom:
        .go (cond)/label

    to not work. Note that both the following seem to work:
        .go (cond,0)/label,0
        .go label # .io cond

format:
    simple printing not very sophisticated (arrays of numbers)
    direct output (a name or value on a line by itself) works only
    inside functions.

    .fm doesn't seem to work, dyadically or monadically

.qq:
    doesn't seem to work, dyadically or monadically

.bx: (the only working output function)
   doesn't allow apl expresions (can't build an interpreter)
   .bx_ n   seems to work
   can't do m_ .bx _ n  (intermediate output)

Tricky problems (features?)

Integers and reals can be distinct. For example an integer factorial
program will top out and return 0. Starting with 1.0 fixes this.
These issues make recursion tricky.

--
Sam Sirlin
Jet Propulsion Laboratory         sam@kalessin.jpl.nasa.gov

simpson@aplcen.apl.jhu.edu (Simpson David Grant) (02/18/91)

AARGH!!  I had downloaded all the recent postings on where to get
public-domain or low-cost APL compilers (like J and TRYADA2) onto
my PC hard disk, but I've accidentally messed up my hard disk and
had to restore everything from backup.  Unfortunately, the APL
postings had not been backed up yet.

If anyone has these recent postings with the info on where to get
the J and TRYAPL2 compilers, could you please e-mail them to me?
Thanks!!

                                    David Simpson

"I'll never try THAT with my hard disk again!"

simpson@aplcen.apl.jhu.edu (Simpson David Grant) (02/20/91)

Maybe one of you APL experts out there can answer a question for
me (an occasional APL user):  what ever happened to the "I-beam"
operator I seem to remember reading about a while ago?  I-beam
was formed by overstriking the "represent" (looks like T) and
"base" (upside-down T) symbols and (if I remember) could be used
to return certain system information.  It was used something like

                         I27

where 27 (or whatever) was a number indicating the system info you
wanted.  None of the PC-based APL systems I've used seems to have
this.  What gives?
  Thanks for your help!

                                      David Simpson

simpson@aplcen.apl.jhu.edu (Simpson David Grant) (02/24/91)

Thanks to everyone who responded to my question about the old
I-beam operator.  Also, MANY thanks to all those who helped me
retrieve some info after I had accidentally wiped out my hard
disk.  Everything I was looking for I got through the BBS\APL
whose number was recently posted.

To EERIG07@TECHNION:  Sorry for the post--my attempts to send
you mail have all bounced back.  I haven't gotten any of the
files you mentioned, but I found them on BBS\APL.  Thanks.

By the way, "I-beam"  --  "I - B - M"  --  these sound a lot
a like! (and the I-beam looks like the first third of the IBM
logo).  Coincidence?

                                     David Simpson